ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

182cup & 172 racecar
I run Yellows on the XR2 fwiw. Cheap too - if you don't already know, Tony, competitors get 50% discount on EBC stuff - call Bob Sketchley on 01604 583 344 to order.
Thanks Alex,but already spoken to him,he knew the car from being at WSR Silverstone and was very helpful.Also offered to change them at anytime if we didn't get on with them,can't beat that really.

After discussing with him weight of car,tyres and other tech stuff,yellows seem to fit the job.

172 Race Car
Tuesday 7th December 2010 - Something Bad Happened

We have a track day booked for mid-December so we have been slowly getting the car ready. A routine geometry check at Car body in Banbury all went well and the camber and toe were reset

043.jpg
044.jpg

Once it was all done we just had to reverse off the ramp and back out to the waiting trailer. The workshop had got a lot busier since bringing the car in and then something bad happened. The car fell down the gap in the middle of the ramp after turning too early. The chap at car body said we were not the first to fall down the hole and wouldn’t be the last. Then he screamed ‘SWITCH IT OFF!!’

045.jpg

The sump had just caught the edge of the concrete and smashed a hole in it, dumping 5 litres of oil onto the floor. Mega unlucky. :dapprove:

Car Body is on the same trading estate as RS Fabrications and one of the guys popped up for a look. He said it was repairable and we could take it up to them when we were ready. After much faffing about getting the car out of the hole and back on the trailer (that has no winch), the car was back at Burpspeed HQ and an attempt made to remove the damaged sump. Some of the ‘chocolate’ bolts started to round off and Dan from 519 Automotive answered our cries for help. His skills got the remaining bolts out in a matter of minutes as he welded some nuts to the chewed up bolts.

056.jpg
059.jpg

062.jpg

Then it was rushed off to RS Fabrications for them to work some magic. A superb job they made of it too. A new gasket and a set of bolts, the sump was back on a few days later.

So a small mistake turned into mad panic, a cry for help and a swift resolution. Thanks to everyone who helped sort out our little mishap. 519 Automotive, RS Fabrications, Car Body and Jay Bee Motors Renault

Qashcow
lucky fix then, shame it happened sadly :( im not looking forward to getting my sump off for the same bolt reasons

clio 182
those bolts caused me so much hassle when my sump went, funnily enough i had the grinder out also!

glad its all sorted though!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
What a nightmare those ramps! Glad its getting sorted, I need to come and see you race next season!!

ITB'd MK1
LOl, was so funny as the bolts came out. Tony was on the phone to Jay describing the way the first bolt was putting up a fight, then i just called out

"1 out!"

"2 out"

"3 out" in the space of about 2 minutes

4th one took a minute or 2 longer. Can't describe the satisfaction when you work out a technique and it just WORKS

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
LOl, was so funny as the bolts came out. Tony was on the phone to Jay describing the way the first bolt was putting up a fight, then i just called out

"1 out!"

"2 out"

"3 out" in the space of about 2 minutes

4th one took a minute or 2 longer. Can't describe the satisfaction when you work out a technique and it just WORKS

All sump bolts that s**t to remove?

ITB'd MK1
not normally too bad. s**t bolt design though, and the lack of space can make it tricky to get the socket on straight (which is pretty much what happened to Tony I think)

182cup & 172 racecar
You know when it's just one of those days when s**t happens like this.Glad we don't have to pay for the oil.

Thanks again Dan.

Lionel Richie
"top boy" russel, for future reference i have 3 spare sumps sat of the shelf at any 1 time, can never have too many spares!

182cup & 172 racecar
No problems welding it?

I had already cleaned it,took him 10mins,job done.They were doing some fantastic work down there,some welding looked like bathroom sealer mastic.

Oh and the F1 manifolds are a work of art,couldn't take pictures of them though:(

172 Race Car
Friday 17th December 2010 - A Wintry Brands Hatch

As a replacement for the track day that was snowed off at Bedford back in February, we had a place booked at Brands Hatch. The weather forecast was for sunny skies but a cold day. We left Burpspeed HQ very early and made our way down the M40 and M25 without a problem. The roads were in a pretty good state and Brands was cold but clear

278.jpg

They had had a little snow the day before but the circuit staff had done a great job to clear it all. The track surface was frozen and the circuit staff were busy spraying it with de-icer. The start of the day was delayed as the staff drove as many vehicles as they could find around the circuit to get the de-icer to work. Mildly interesting watching the ‘race’ the blue one was lapped a few times though.

281.jpg
282.jpg

The day was an open pit lane format but due to the very slippery conditions, the number of cars on track at any one time was restricted. We eventually got out and I took it steady and tried to bed in the new pads. Paddock Hill was SO slippery but I had no issues with the car at all. A short while later there was a red flag for a car off in the gravel at Paddock. While the car was dragged out there was a light sprinkling of snow. When the track re opened it was at a controlled speed behind a pace car. Tony did about 10 laps or so. The snow stopped and the track was clear again. Another car off at Paddock meant another red flag and a big queue formed in the pit lane.

283.jpg
284.jpg

I went out for another run and tried to press on a bit. It started to snow but I didn’t even need the wipers as it was very light and wasn’t settling. After about 7 or 8 laps it began to snow heavier and began to pitch off line. A lap later it was so heavy they threw the red flag for the final time. By the time I’d done one more lap back to the pits the circuit was covered.

080.jpg
081.jpg

286.jpg
287.jpg

We packed up as the snow got even worse

082.jpg

289.jpg
290.jpg

The circuit staff were directing everyone out via the pit lane and through a gap in the wall on the outside of Paddock Hill Bend. We decided to wait until last as we knew the van would struggle to get out. It wasn’t too bad in the end and we got a few pics of the first corner.

292.jpg
293.jpg

So we managed about 25 laps in total, half behind the safety car. But it was nice to be in the car again. The next task was to get back home. The snow around the M25 and M40 was quite light, but the traffic very bad. It took about 5 hours to get back.

By the next morning a massive amount of snow had fallen at Burpspeed HQ, how lucky were we to get back when we did.

086.jpg

Lovely machine!

ford8630.jpg

Definitely a 8000 series!

*At least you got some driving in, last time I dragged Tony out to brands he didn't even get a drive :(

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
good times to get back in the car,
shame it got snowed off again

russell really is spot on, can't wait to get my airbox back, am in talks with him about an exhaust also

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
At least you got some driving in, last time I dragged Tony out to brands he didn't even get a drive :(

The last time out at Brands Tom even you didn't drag yourself out. The shame was obviously too much to bear....;)

Glad you got some track time in gents.....albeit limited. Makes our 'frosty' day at Brands at the end of November look tropical!