ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

182cup & 172 racecar
7437.jpg

Cheers

172 Race Car
Provisional 2011 calendar has been relased and it looks fairly similar to this year but with Anglesey in early August and Donington in late May. Aiming to do 6 or 7 rounds again. Along with another sponsors/friends day at Silverstone

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Amazing write up jay!!

Hopefully I'll still be able to sponsor you again for next season. :)

(That fcuking picture is going to haunt me for years to come.... )

Will now. Hai!

Lovely write up, even though I'd already read every other bit of thread, the re-cap was still very nice.

Look forward to reading and maybe coming along to watch one next year :)

172 Race Car
14th November 2010 - Winter revisions

Season over and were looking forward to next year already. We have had a long think about our year and have quite a few jobs to work through on the car. We plan to actually do some testing this time.

So we spent a day in the workshop and worked through a list of jobs. We fitted a new pair of driveshafts, as one was getting a bit of wear, and finally replaced the broken engine mount.

11.jpg
32.jpg

We also replaced the steering rack mounting bushes and brackets. A real awkward job.

14.jpg

Something that never worked after building the car was the wheel speed sensor. We need to pick up wheel speed for the pit lane speed limiter function in the ECU. We have been guessing our speed in the pits and mostly been under the limit, and loosing time, but we did get a speeding penalty at Silverstone. We never got around to sorting it as we wanted a decent solution. A Hall Effect sensor was sourced from Matt at Tour-De-Force and a bracket made so it would read off the stock ABS ring on the N/S driveshaft.

17.jpg
19.jpg

Our biggest problem with the cars performance was brakes. We have struggled all year with them, to a lesser or greater extent from circuit to circuit. We would get an inconsistent pedal feel and it was very easy to lock the front wheels. We are trying a different front pad this winter to see if this helps. We have also changed the vacuum line to the servo.

Another slight problem is where the brake fluid reservoir is located. We kept it in its stock location when we built the car, very near the exhaust manifold. It gets very hot in this area, even with a heat shield, and the brake fluid can sometimes dribble out. For this reason and to make it easier to access, we relocated it to the other side of the engine bay

16.jpg
21.jpg

24.jpg
27.jpg

33.jpg

Very pleased with how it came out

Qashcow
looking good guys, are the cars coming along well too ;)

will be borrowing the idea with the brake fluid, its cheaper than buying lots of heat shield, and therfore amazing

182cup & 172 racecar
Just looked back at the dates last year,and around this time I was spraying the car,and guess what,it's all rubbed down and ready for spraying again.I really hate November:(

Gay Clio 172 phs1
Great read this tony, cheers for pointing me in this direction :D

And painting isnt that bad, at least its only an external squirt this time?

182cup & 172 racecar
I'd have done it for you, you pillock!
Then why didn't you say that in the first place then you r****d,some people.:rolleyes:

It hasn't got to be a showroom finish,it's a bloody race car ffs.Only doing it as we might be going to the Autosport show with it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Then why didn't you say that in the first place then you r****d,some people.:rolleyes:

It hasn't got to be a showroom finish,it's a bloody race car ffs.Only doing it as we might be going to the Autosport show with it.

You never asked me!! Grow some b0llocks! I'll do anything (Within reason) to help you two out.

182cup & 172 racecar
Or has your missus gone out and your parading around in her smalls doing a bit of role play?If so then pics please.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not tonight.

I did get laid earlier, maybe thats why i'm in a good mood. (Sh4gging an 8 month pregnant woman is a bit of an experience...)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FLOL!!! No way. I was wearing a tracksuit at the time, she had just finished cleaning the house...

Wayne and waynetta spring to mind.

(Jay is going to kill me for clogging up his thread with this bullshit!!)

172 Race Car
29th November 2010 - Respray

After a season of racing the car was looking a bit battered with lots of stone chips and scrapes. Some of the stickers had began to peel off so we de-livery'd it and this made the paint even more messy
We decided to rub it all down and give it a fresh top coat

IMAG0025.jpg

As we have been reading the last few comments in this thread, we didnt feel we would have steady enough hands to paint it ourselves. The guys at Auto Colour Match, did a great job for us and the car now looks even better than when we painted it before. Were toning down the scheme a little for next season. The skirts, tailgate spoiler and badge are now black and the mirrors the only external orange left.

IMAG0030.jpg
IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg
IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg
IMAG0037.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Not sure on the removed strips, although saying that, for a track car I quite like it. Purposeful and something different.

Looks better with less orange too IMO.

Get some well placed sponsors and it'll look class.

Cooksport Fleet
We ran carbon lorraines in the C2 race car, it gave a very inconsistent pedal (even though we use lorraines in the other cars without any trouble!). We used ferodos and they where much better, due to supply problems we had to try something else.

We used mintex because they where available and where pleasantly surprised by the performance. On par with the ferodos, and less than half the price of both the above!

182cup & 172 racecar
Try the new EBC blue, much better than DS2500/3000, oh and yellow are s**t.
Have you raced with these?probably not.We know a guy who has raced with these with same spec Clio for three years and not had any bother at all.
Thats what testing is for.

I run Yellows on the XR2 fwiw. Cheap too - if you don't already know, Tony, competitors get 50% discount on EBC stuff - call Bob Sketchley on 01604 583 344 to order.