ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

Maxi Megane and 182
Just read this thread from start to finish.
Very nice work being done there guys. :)

Have you reconsidered the plastic windows as it saved me about 10kg on my old 5GTT race car?

alien green rs133
Our Rears are 3mm aswell and alot lighter than the glass ones we took out. Hutchie seems to get plastic that is weaved with lead though ;)

nahh we just have ones that are a direct replacement instead of ones that dont fill recess properly.

poly windows look naff anyway

172 Race Car
Sorry the pics have all dissapeared. We had a tidy up of the website and they have been moved.

Full Blog can be seen on Burpspeed.com under the build tag.

Its been 6 weeks since I updated this thread. We havent been sat on our hands, weve been very busy. A few updates to catch up on........

Monday 21st December 2009

We've made a start on the ECU and engine bay wiring loom. We are using a Tour de Force EC1, ECU. We started by finishing off the bulkhead plug wiring. Any empty pins on the plug were filled and an extra econoseal plug added for future applications. Then all wrapped in loom tape.

2828.jpg
2829.jpg

2830.jpg
21st%20December%202009.jpg

A Comms socket for the ECU had to be fitted to the loom somewhere, so we chose to fit it in the side of the switch box.

2838.jpg
2851.jpg

Saturday 26th December 2009

The engine bay side of the loom had to be built up into the plug. Starting with a big bundle of wire, all the necessary tools and the kitchen table, it slowly came together.

2841.jpg
2842.jpg

2843.jpg
2844.jpg

2845.jpg
2846.jpg

Again all the unused pins were filled and will be connected to a plug for any additional circuits that may need to be fitted in the future. For now, the loom has been taped up and is quite long (Generous guess work when ordering the wire). When its all fitted to the engine we can shorten the wires and route to the correct areas of the engine before finishing.

2847.jpg

Sunday 27th Decemer 2009

A TRS tow strap has been fitted to the front and rear of the car to the stock tow eye locations. We made up an angled bracket from some very thick steel and some big bolts

1795.jpg
1796.jpg

Saturday 2nd January 2010

After a frustrating few days spent on the wiring where very little was achieved, today was a welcome change. Dan (Shadowness) was around to lend a hand and all three of us worked solidly for over 12 hours. Worked centred around 3 main things, getting the seat in and positioned correctly, fitting the new radiator and again yet more wiring.

First up the radiator. We've changed the radiator to a smaller unit and compact race fan.

The replacement radiator is slightly longer than the stock rad. A bracket had to be made for the bottom of it to sit on. Then some 'L' brackets for the top section to bolt to the cross member.

shapeimage_4.png
2852.jpg

2856.jpg
2861.jpg

After we were happy with the fitment we fitted the race fan to the inside. The supplied fitting kit worked well and the fan proved quite powerful after a quick test.

shapeimage_5.png
2862.jpg

Following a pin out list sent to us by Tour-de-force, the ECU plug was fitted to the loom. Then the loom tidied up further, along with making connections from ECU to fuse box so the ECU can switch the fuel pump and cooling fan relays. The ECU itself was stuck to the tunnel in front of the gearstick using some 'Le Mans' spec velcro, it aint coming off!

2858.jpg
2874.jpg

An FIA approved Bimarco Expert race seat with custom stitching, was supplied by JMS Tuning along with the mounting brackets. After lots of measuring and about 30 trial fittings we were happy with the position and bolted it all down tight. Then we fitted the belts. A 6 point TRS 3'' harness, in orange of course.

2873.jpg
2868.jpg

2884.jpg
2870.jpg

Sunday 3rd January 2010

Now that the seat is in we could decide on a location for the brake bias adjuster. We may not need to have one in the system, as we are running effectively a non ABS 172 Cup setup with a load valve above the rear axle. But after a lot of problems we previously had with the track car after removing the ABS, we thought it wise to add one. We think we can manually adjust the 'cup' load valve to give a set, fixed amount of rear bias and then adjust inside the car depending on conditions. Time will tell if we have got it right.

The best place we found for the adjuster was to the left of the gear stick. Its just within reach but wont get knocked accidentally.

Then we made up some pipes. The bias adjuster pipe travels along the tunnel and through the rear floor to a splitter. The to the 'T' connector and finally to the load valve.

2875.jpg
1797.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
good progress jay / tony

loom looks very nice and like the plug idea, is matt mapping it for you also?
seats look very nice, like the personal touch, did you just mount the sidemounts straight through the shell? or re-enforce it first?

This car looks epic, when I went round I was staggered how much work has gone into it. Even the little things such as the brake pipes.

Should be awesome on track, if Jay can keep it pointing in the right direction! ;)

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome work guys! How far do you reckon you've got left to go with it before it's ready?

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Not far to go now. Lets hope it stays in this condition.

I see a common theme with mine except mine is mainly black. Nice harness.;)

172 Race Car
loom looks very nice and like the plug idea, is matt mapping it for you also?
seats look very nice, like the personal touch, did you just mount the sidemounts straight through the shell? or re-enforce it first?
Yes Matt is mapping it very soon.

Seat mounted in the stock seat rails. Its quite sturdy, we will see what the scruiteneer says.

Look's like it's coming together fast now. Love those orange harnesses. where from?
Bought from Ado on here. Dont know where he got them

Awesome work guys! How far do you reckon you've got left to go with it before it's ready?
Posted progress upto first weekend in January. Loads more done since then.Tbh its pretty much done. Will update fully within the next few weeks.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Im seriously slacking. I've only just had a look at this project!

Extremely impressed gents. Will have to try and get along to one of your race meetings this year.
Lets just hope you both do better than you did Karting....;)

182cup & 172 racecar
Im seriously slacking. I've only just had a look at this project!

Extremely impressed gents. Will have to try and get along to one of your race meetings this year.
Lets just hope you both do better than you did Karting....;)

Brands Hatch in May?
And you sir,are a cheeky chappy;)

Now now ladies, at least you didn't get rammed off by your 'not-so-better-half'

Anyway I thought we made a good team being miserable and bitter in the pits together jay ;)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Incredible progress gents, I'll try and make it to the Oulton Park event and get some photos for you, so would you please let me know if the date changes from the 12th June?

Keep up the good work. :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Sun 9th May Brands Hatch
Sat 22nd May Anglesey
Sat 12th June Oulton Park
Sun 13th June FCS with Tour-de-Force and RS Tuning on stand.
3rd/4th July Spa?
Sat 24th July Cadwell Park
Sun 29th August Mallory Park(Bank holiday weekend)
Sat 4th September Silverstone
Sun 17th Oct Snetterton

Plus the odd RS track days to attend to,and several track days for testing.Phew.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Pole Position iirc? kept you in sight for 20mins till i was black flagged & how many stones lighter are you again?

;)

I led into the first corner iirc? ;) Im a good 14 stone.....give or take 3 stone...:clown:

Im gonna do another one this year so you can inflict some pay-back....

Brands in May it is i think Tony. Can you get me into hospitality? :D