ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a car with less than 2 weeks tax

Honda & VW
Off to have a look at a car on the weekend hopefully, seems a cracking car with fsh and 12 months mot. Tax runs out at the end of this month but I have twisted his arm already to put 6 months tax on it if I decide to buy it.
(assuming I buy it) I will have the car but will be awaiting the logbook, he will apply for the tax but it will be sent to him as he would be the registered keeper.
Is there a better/easier way to get over this so I get the tax disc quicker or is it not really an issue?

Looking for Suggestions or experience of this please

Thanks

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
get it from the post office with him-

Or tell him not to put tax on it- knock the price off the car then go to post office with your insurance certificate & the green tear off strip you get when you buy the car
S

Clio 182 FF
I agree with the member above tell him you want to tax it yourself,all you will need is your part of the log book and your insurance and MOT certificate,short tax is a major bargaining(is that a word) point,if he's already offered you 6 months tax without seeing your cash,then when he sees it be cheeky and offer him the full 12 months below the asking price.If your lucky he'll snap your hand off,if not he'll barter back and you'll definately get more than the 6 months tax back,let me know how you get on.....

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
If your insurance doesnt state it then your not insured on it so you shouldnt be driving it anyway?!
Most insurers allow you to print your own certficate now-adays anyway, if they dont - then either tax it online, and wait for it to come in the post (technically you should drive it till it arrives, but coppers and ANPR cameras will unlikely care is it will show as taxed on the system.)

billabong...
I literaly just bought my car last week,(hence first post) but it had no tax at all so when I picked it up I took along my new insurance documents and with the current MOT and the V5C/2 (the small new keeper bit of the V5) I went straight to the post office and taxed it. Very easy!

Hope this helps!

Sam

Honda & VW
Sorry should have made my previous post clearer, if I buy it on Saturday then I shall be inured as of then. It will take a while to get my new/updated insurance cert posted out to me. It may not come prior to the end of the month when the tax runs out. Will look into the printing off myself of it though as never knew that

billabong...
Yeah I got an email from my insurance company with a PDF file that I just printed off, Post office were fine with it.

Clio 182 FF
When you transfer your policy over to your new toy, get your insurance to send an email of your policy in PDF form or explain your tax runs out end of the month and that you need your policy asap,most companies will send out same day and it should arrive within that week.Get the guy to send you logbook or ask if you can send to DVLA and send it Special Delivery,it'll get there well quick and that way you'll be able to do your Tax over the Net or Phone....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Lee if you buy the car and can't tax it, pm me and I'll do it for you.