ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a clio 172 with 12 owners

2004 iceberg 172
As title it's from a dealer, looks pretty clean with only 65 k on the clock, I've hpi'd the car and its only came back with plate changes, I've got the reg number + v5 document number to do a mot check on it and the milage seems legit, it's 2003 and I've managed to knock him down to £1400
​would the owners put you off thou because that's sort of what's bothering me or should I just try ignore this?

Clio 172 cup
As long as its all straight, well looked after, a stack of service history and a clear hpi, I personally wouldnt care if it had 1000 previous owners

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Plus if it is all tidy and everything Dave has said checks out with the car, you'll be getting a proper tidy example at a decent price because the amount of owners is a bargaining point in your favour.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Could work in your favour. If most gave it some tlc as a new car then suggest its been looked after.

Sure chance a couple of the 12 abused it but hopefully the others looked after it during the honeymoon stage of ownership

2004 iceberg 172
I've emailed the guy and unfortunately it has no history, with it having 12 owners the history has been lost down the line, will be a nightmare to try and trace
i was going to go have a look tomorrow, as the condition seems to be immaculate, 12 months mot and its the colour I'm after (Monaco blue)...bit of a shame really but I'm probably going to give it a miss

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
12 owners and no history, lol.

Unless it was ludicrously cheap, and i mean ludicrously cheap, and I could get someone who knows them inside out to view it, I'd be running a mile.

RB182cup&golf gti
No chance. 12 owners and no history! Only a dickhead would buy that. Which is exactly what I was when I bought my first car - 7 owners and no history and not only did I pay full asking price because the car "looked" mint, but then paid for everything that went wrong, which was something every month! You live and learn :)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Have it properly checked over, its £1400 so I don't see how 12 owners really makes a difference..

FF Racing Blue 182
If you want it buy the car for all we know a lot of young guys couldn't afford it and changed hands many times

Passat
I'd try knock him down a bit more if there's no history, particularly on the cambelt. Before you disregard the car completely - I recently sold my black 172 with 10 owners and minimal history. It was a cracking car and only accumulated so many owners as friends sold it to other friends. We'd all like a car with FSH but as long as you get the belts done, take it for a drive and get someone to give it a good check, I really don't see what risks you take over any other 172 on the market.

2004 iceberg 172
This will be my second clio sport I'm buying, the first one I bought in the heat of the moment, ended up spending a fortune on it, kept it 14 month and got rid just after christmas, regretted selling it straght away, I don't want to do the same again, tbh from the pics it looks quite agood example, I spoke to the guy on the phone and they've just spent a bit on it to get it through the mot, he said it drives superb ect now and the bodywork is very good, I'd probably go have a look if I could get the prie down abit, but he's been very Stuborn on the price and says he's not letting it go for any lower than £1400 so I've decided to give it a miss, there's plenty more out there just need to find a good one