ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a clio cup racer

Just looking for some general info on the clio cup race cars.

When the Clio Cup Series move onto a new generation of cars, what happens/where do they sell the old race cars?

When (if) they sell them does Renault carry on supporting an owner/provide a post dated parts catalogue? I understand R.sport stock a lot of cup racer gear but parts for the 182 series are already being discontinued..

Are they worth getting or are they usually on their last legs (not looking for "of course they are - they're race cars dumb ass" answers), having nothing to do with the series I don't know how much tlc they get in terms of box/engine replacements etc through out the season.

Any general info would be great :)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
good cars can be sold on by the teams, other cars a dismantled for spares.

I've viewed a few for sale in the past from Team Think, give them a ring if you want more info.

clio 172 cup
pistonheads have them on sumtimes and im sure u can buy a brand new clio197 race car for sumthing like 24k

Ph1
17.5k gets you this
24112008023.jpg

Thanks for all the info fellas, really helpful. Its something that I am toying with for the future one day, just wanted to see how you would go about picking one up/where.

Fred, a car being post championship - what sort of millage do they clock up/hours operation. Will the cars that competed be totally done for or mechanically sound??

Clio 1.2 mark 1
they would of had engine rebuilds...

look in Autosport, there is frequently Clio Cup cars for sale in there. Are you planning just to use it for a trackday?

My long term goal is to have a day to day mile muncher, diesel something or other with a towbar & soft seats ;) as I do around 40k+ a year and have a cup racer as a little mechanical project/weekend toy/money pit.

I'd love to leave the silly driving for the track as my experience grows and do it in a car designed for it, not in my day to day road car, do a bit of traveling with it etc, who knows :)

Renaultsport 220T
they would of had engine rebuilds...

Nope, all the engines that ran in the series were sealed.
There are around half a dozen still competing in the Mark Fish Sponsored, Clio cup championship which is part of the LMA race series. The ones that I saw last year all still had the seals in place. Mark rebuilds the gearboxes every now and then.

Lionel Richie
not quite correct there shandy man, pretty much every car that was ever in the uk clio cup has had an engine at some stage, i know the guy who did the inspections/rebuilds them (rare as they were fucked) he was also the man who put the seals on ;)