ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying advice - 172 mk1

Clio 172 Ph1
Hi all

Currently looking to buy a Renaultsport Clio 172 Mk1 and I'm wanting some advice on what exactly to look for when viewing if possible. I've already test driven one and loved how it drove but it wasn't in particularly good condition (scrappy interior, kerbed alloys, 3 different makes of budget tyres on it etc) so won't be going for that one.

I'm due to view a black 172 near(ish)by either tomorrow or Wednesday and would just like a heads up on anything in particular to check so I don't end up buying a money pit. It's got just shy of 70k miles on it and is listed for £4700 at a dealer. Does this sound like a good price as long as everything is in order? How much would you expect to able to knock the price down to?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

clio 172 Phase 1
well i paid £5000 for a clean one with 45000 miles some on here say i paid too much i thought i had a bargin as there listed as £5750 for a good condition one .. £4700 from a dealer seems good ...my opinion

Golf R/Leon FR
£4700 for a mk1 with 70k on is about right but i would offer a lower price. but make sure you check its in mint condition and had all the services it should have had and a cambelt change then you cant go far wrong.

I bought my mk1 in april this year with 40k on in mint condition for £5200.

Clio 172 Ph1
Talon said:
well i paid £5000 for a clean one with 45000 miles some on here say i paid too much i thought i had a bargin as there listed as £5750 for a good condition one .. £4700 from a dealer seems good ...my opinion

Having had a look on autotrader the cheapest mk1 172 near to me is the one I test drove and that wasn't in good condition. That's going for £4500 and had 86,000 miles on it! Therefore I reckon it sounds about right, but I thought I'd see what other poeple thought. So, any advice on anything in specific to look out for when viewing?

Clio 172 Ph1
No mention in the ad of whether the cambelt has been done, I'll definately enquire about that. What mileage should it be changed at?

clio 172 Phase 1
72000 or five years i think ? yea make sure the cam belts done the only draw back on mine was i am having to get it done at £400 it aint cheap

Clio 172 Ph1
Brilliant, thanks for that. So, thats about it to check specifically then? Other than the cambelt just the standard checks I'd do with any car?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
i think thats too dear. I paid 5150 for my 172 mk1 2001 x plate, 32k on the clock.
We had one come in work on saturday, 2000w, 44k, £4000.
Don't rush into anything, Just hang on and you'll find a proper one.

If it's non silver it's worth a few quid more too ;)

Black is rare as rocking horse sh*t on the moon, bear in mind it will almost certainly be a euro import too.

I'd sell mine for 5.5k, early 2001 on 45,000 miles :D

320d
Common areas of wear are on the steering wheel they're usually in poor condition as is the drivers side electric window plastic housing

I'd check for bad stone chips on the bonnet as its usually a sign of it being raced around

Check all the panels match up and the paint looks ok

The multichanger should be under the front passenger seat

If you know the reg put it into this link for some useful info:

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/carbuying/vehicle_data_search

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I'd try and negotiate a cam belt change if it hasn't been done already. Also the exhaust, they tend to rot really quickly, and get 4 good tyres on each corner. Look on top of the engine under the inlet manifold and around the bolts - check how many bolt holes have pools of oil aroud them. Mine has just one small oil patch - a common problem. Don't buy it if there's lots of oil there.

Rob669

Clio 172 Ph1
Thanks very much for the advice fella's, will check for everything that's been mentioned. Not going to be today though unfortunately as I'm not able to get through to York :(

Ah well, hoping for tomorrow and that the car hasn't been sold.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
got mine for 4 k 38k on the clock, full ren serv lol, guys deal fell through for 5k the day b4 he moved away, it has a mint bondy and interior, not one mark lol, theres bargins to be had

Scirocco GT 210
badinvincible said:
I got mine (cambelt) done at 36k when the car was about 4.5 years old. Better safe than sorry IMO.

And how much did that cost you? If you don't mind me asking.