ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying an iPhone in the US

Audi S1
Can you buy SIM free iPhones in the US which will work in the UK?

A friend of mine girlfriend lives over there and can bring a couple back, was wonder whether she needs to buy a certain one?

Probably way to early to know facts in regards of the iPhone 5 but did anyone do this with the iPhone 4 or S?

Thanks

Ronnie

Clio 172
Yes you can buy them in the US sim free however they are designed to work in the US so the software is slightly different I believe (fanbois help me out if i am wrong). However there are more factors to think about, should customs stop them and find the phones the following applies...

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty.
If you arrive by private plane or private boat for pleasure purposes, you can only bring in other goods worth up to £270 tax and duty free.
If you bring in any single item worth more than your allowance, you must pay duty and/or tax on the full item value, not just the value above the allowance. You also cannot group individual allowances together to bring in an item worth more than the limit.

I have no doubt customs will be on the look out for those passengers returning from the USA after the release date.....

Audi S1
I know there's a risk in getting stopped at customs. I'm talking in terms of the iPhone itself, the technical aspect behind using a US iPhone in the UK.

Revels Mum & Sister
Not sure about the Technical aspect however if you have a Phone in your pocket and get Apple to email you the receipt. Don't keep the box and just put the charger and headphones in your bag they would need to prove that you did not buy it before which you could have done.

Stick the other phone in checked luggage and your chances of being caught are slim to none especially with the volume of passengers. If you had a suitcase full then yeah maybe...

Audi S1
She brought over 2 iPad a few months ago no problems, didn't have to pay the tax which everyone has been talking about as well. She lives in the US and is a student. I don't know if that makes a difference.