ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying guide for Williams Clio

MGB GT, 306
I'm thinking of buying a Williams Clio, but need some advice on what to look out for. Were there any particulars problems that I should look out for?

Which is the best: 1, 2 or 3?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Here's a thread on the differences...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171750

I had 2 Williams 3's. Opted for them because I wanted the most recent available. The manufacturers always know what the faults from the first batch are and can smooth them out etc. Perhaps not the case with the Williams, but it did have a sunroof too ;)

First one I had, wheels ruined it imo...

williams3.jpg

Second one...

Clio1.jpg

Better alloys but still ended up putting the originals back on.

^^^ they did indeed - issue 66 (April '04). It was when they did the feature on the greatest drivers car if the dacade which featured the Williams. Came 6th ahead of the Impreza P1, 911 Turbo (993), Elise 135 and BMW M3!

They had a buyers guide after the article.

Look out for state of the oil, make sure the cam belt has been changed in the last 35k miles or 5 years, check power steering pump is ok, check dampers, and just check the body for crash damage. Check the aches for rust as they are all getting on a bit now. Front arches are plastic so no worries there! As already stated, www.williamsclio.co.uk/ is a very good resource for the Willy!

Oh, and make sure its not a 16v replica. Willys have a wider track front and rear, Williams interior, a yellow dip stick with a white dot on it and if its a Willy 1 it will have no sunroof and a plaque on the dash. The Willy 2s and 3s dont have the numbered plaque. The engine is the F7R instead of the F7P which has a code stamped on the side. Cant remember with the code is though (C? something?) but someone on here will know!).

Make sure you get a good one, its worth looking for the best you can afford as it'll save you money in the long run.

Last edited:
  F82 M4
the williams 1 are the coolest with the plaque inside etc. The williams 3 are more pratical sunroof, speakers etc. The rarest is actually the williams 3. I prefer the williams 2 tbh cuz is a mix of both. Not too keen on the colour of the 3

Here's a thread on the differences...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171750

I had 2 Williams 3's. Opted for them because I wanted the most recent available. The manufacturers always know what the faults from the first batch are and can smooth them out etc. Perhaps not the case with the Williams, but it did have a sunroof too ;)

First one I had, wheels ruined it imo...

williams3.jpg

Second one...

Clio1.jpg

Better alloys but still ended up putting the originals back on.

both nice.. quite like the wheels on first one as well :eek::eek: