ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying private: advice required.

Im potentially going to be spending nearly £9k on a 172 soon privately. Ive never bought privately before so I have some real obvious questions that I probably should really know the answers to...but dont! Any help would be appreciated.

1. If Im travelling a long way how does these things usually work if Im happy with it and want to buy? Im assuming its (seller dependant of course) usual to just bring it on home the same day.

2. I recently read that its strongly advised not to pay by cash. But it didnt say how you should actually pay. Any suggestions?

3. The main one really, insurance. Firstly how do things work with test driving? The best advice Ive been given is dont crash! Secondly is bringing it home. My other half would be driving up and back in her car so thats fine, but Im guessing Im not insured to bring the car home. I wouldnt be the registered owner at that point as the documents wouldnt have gone through the DVLA, but I would be the owner.

Probably obvious stuff but anything to give me some confidence would be useful. 99% sure I will be buying from a fellow ClioSporter which makes me a bit happier.

[Edited by ukaskew on 04 May 2005 at 11:38pm]

Chocolate Bar™

Quote: Originally posted by ukaskew on 04 May 2005

1. If Im travelling a long way how does these things usually work if Im happy with it and want to buy? Im assuming its (seller dependant of course) usual to just bring it on home the same day.

they should be ready to sell the car on the day you travel to look at it, but ask them on the phone first if they would be ready. for example they may need it for a couple of days to finalise outstanding credit etc.

2. I recently read that its strongly advised not to pay by cash. But it didnt say how you should actually pay. Any suggestions?

i wouldnt pay £9k in cash. ask the buyer where the branch of your bank is to his house. you will have to pay about £15 for a bank to do a bankers draft, or alternatively go a building society wheres its free. The cheque from a building society is also as close to cash as you can get as its underwritten. Failing that you can get a direct transfer at a bank.

3. The main one really, insurance. Firstly how do things work with test driving? The best advice Ive been given is dont crash! Secondly is bringing it home. My other half would be driving up and back in her car so thats fine, but Im guessing Im not insured to bring the car home. I wouldnt be the registered owner at that point as the documents wouldnt have gone through the DVLA, but I would be the owner.

You wouldnt be insured, but you can arrange your insurance with a suitable company and get a reference number. You can then ring them when you have the car and they will inform you that you are on emergency cover or whatever they call it until you get the proper forms.

Probably obvious stuff but anything to give me some confidence would be useful. 99% sure I will be buying from a fellow ClioSporter which makes me a bit happier.
if not buying off a cliosporter just make sure all obvious tricks are being done - like meeting at their house and asking to use the toilet. HPI check before you leave and then any obvious faults. Might be best getting an RAC check if its out of warranty as 9k is alot of money to waste.

[Edited by ukaskew on 04 May 2005 at 11:38pm]

Sorry to go off topic, but why ask to use the persons toilet?

Glad to see these questions asked as I will be going over to england from NI to purchase a car nearer july time.

Peter

Quote: Originally posted by PeterNI on 05 May 2005

Sorry to go off topic, but why ask to use the persons toilet?

Glad to see these questions asked as I will be going over to england from NI to purchase a car nearer july time.

Peter

If it isnt his house you wont be allowed to use the toilet eh :D

I travelled 1200miles (round trip) to get the Vee..............well my dad did cause I was working.

Anyways we contacted the sellers (3), I wanted more than one car to look at..............checked out the pictures sent via email also S/Hist.............called previous owners............and my dad went with a bankers draft made out in the name of the one that looked the best in the pictures (which is the one I bought)

Also the price had basically been agreed on the phone but just incase the bank draft was made out for less (the rest paid in cash)................which is just aswell cause the tyres were legal but shot and at £874 + vat from Reno there was room for further negotiation.

In terms of how do you go about ensuring its a good car well we asked about the condition under the bonnet, condition of the wheels...............everything that indicates the car has been looked after and respected all with pics.

And by the way its never cheeper to fly as opposed to getting your wife to drive.

Well you did ask eh :D

Cya Stu

PS my dad says its the best drive hes ever had..............I just hide the keys now :D

Im guessing its a way of confirming the seller actually lives there, may be totally wrong but I imagine someone dodgy could sell a car out on the street outside a property they know to be empty.

Yep thats it............mind you if youve travelled any distance then most people will offer you a coffee............even a bite to eat..............Ive travelled for all 3 of my cars.............Manchester, Bradford and the Vee from Southampton...............alway been offered at least a coffee.

Cya Stu

pah, i knew i had been stitched up, i didnt ask Andy if i could use his toilet when i bought the RS ;) :p

A silver Honda

Aah right,

Reminds me of when i sold my alloys.

The dad of the lad who bought my wheels left a smelly floater in our bog!

ffs lol

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

I bought my 172 private, first private buy for me.

Live in south Devon, drove up to Southampton to look at it after seeing it for sale on here and agreeing a price beforehand.

Chao was really nice, showed us round the car etc. He took us out for a test drive, Id driven another 172 the day before so knew how it should have driven, but as my ins didnt cover me for DOC I couldnt drive it. Still it felt sweet as and it has been perfect :)

Then we went inside, had a chat, went through all the docs. I then left a deposit and agreed to pick it up the next weekend.

To pick it up me and the other half got the train up to southampton where the chap picked us up, drove us back to his place, gave him the balance in cash and drove it home :)

If all seems genuine then I dont see cash being aproblem imho.

So thankyou Bens dad for selling me a lovely car :)