ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying used, what to look out for?

I'm looking to buy a second hand D50 Body only, but im sceptical of using Ebay as id rather check it out in the flesh 1st.
What should I be looking out for in terms of condition (both online and in the metal) and are there any really good online sellers for second hand bodies?

Last edited:
Key things are the number of shutter actuations, the quality of the sensor and how well the shutter release still works.

Shutter actuations is an easy one, free software online works it from your last photo very easily and you should request this info from any seller. Nikons generally have a tested life of around 100,000 shutter actuations, if it's getting close to this it's probably best to steer clear (mine has reached 25,000 after 1 year)

The sensor is a bit tougher, find a good online store and they will probably clean it first anyway, but if buying privately you may need to factor that in as an additional cost.

Lastly it's just a general wear and tear thing, the sound of the mirror moving when taking a pic should be nice and 'clean' (I had a dodgy D50 at first, the shutter noise sounded very stuttery).

Keep an eye on MPB Photographic (who have a nice cheap D70 available now), also London Camera Exchange are very very good, they have loads of Nikon DSLRs in stock second-hand at the moment, if you have a store localish you could probably get one from another store sent over.

Astra coupe
As Chris said. Shutter accutations, i managed to pick up my D70s with less than 8k accutations for £265 but i think i got a bargain, just look out for general condition and don't be afraid to ask questions!