ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye bye D40, Hello 450d!

Well I was getting fed up with the lens choice, the price of primes and the lack of focus points on the D40 so I went to Jessops and gave a few cameras a go!

Tried the D90, but it was a little expensive for me, then tried the D80 and was fairly impressed, followed this by the 400d and the 450d and the 450d came out on top for me.

Obviously I didn't buy from Jessops, but very happy with my decision.

I expect flaming from the Nikonians, and a warm welcome from the Canonians!

106 GTi
Nice one, I am trying to save hard over the winter to upgrade my 350D for next season.

I think its an upgrade, it may not be a huge upgrade but I can now have access to lots more AF lenses. Plus the following are useful to me: Live view, dedicated ISO button, 9 point focus and a few other bits and bobs!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Good choice. I really like my 400d. Was thinking of a move to Nikon for the d90 but have heard it is a bit of a disapointment so will be saving for a 50d when I can afford one. Welcome to Canon :)

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I messed about with a d80 over the weekend and it felt much better than my 350d anyway.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Good choice. I really like my 400d. Was thinking of a move to Nikon for the d90 but have heard it is a bit of a disapointment so will be saving for a 50d when I can afford one. Welcome to Canon :)

Who said its a disappointment? I've heard nothing but praise for it.

Me too, been reading about it everyday as I should be going to get one this Thursday, not seen much in the way of negativity towards it, and as a bonus there are some really nice videos starting to appear on Youtube etc.

VaVa
Of course it is! Alright it's still an 'entry level' DSLR... but it's much better specced. The 450D is more comparable to the D60 or 80 imho.

Will it help him take better pictures? That remains to be seen! :D

And, not only that, but everyone knows that Canons are just betterer.

Bus w**ker
On a serious note, how did you find the difference in handling? I've never got comfortable holding a Canon (I intended to buy one before I got my D50) and for me at least they have always felt a bit cheaper. Obviously everybody is different, so I wondered how changing over feels.
Yeah I agree with that, for entry level Canon bodies anyway. Far too light, flimsy and cheap plastic on the Canons. Although they have made improvements in that area with the 450D IMHO, feels a lot sturdier and has some weight behind it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...side&cameras=nikon_d40,canon_eos450d&show=all

The more reasonable comparison would be with a D80, which is now about the same price in Jessops.

On a serious note, how did you find the difference in handling? I've never got comfortable holding a Canon (I intended to buy one before I got my D50) and for me at least they have always felt a bit cheaper. Obviously everybody is different, so I wondered how changing over feels.

I don't find it much different than the D40, but maybe its just the way I grip the camera! Build wise, they feel about the same, I guess some people may think the D40 looks better built due to th slightly textured plastic compared to the 450d's smoothness, but overall I dont really see I big difference in the build quality.

Its nice to have a dedicated ISO button and the ability to but cheaper primes and not have to worry about the motor.

The viewfinder on the 450D is excellent and coming from only having 3 focus points its great. The screen is very clear, and of course bigger which is not a big issue, but helps in the live view mode.

Overall, it feels more of a complete package than the D40, a step up from entry level IMO.

dk

911 GTS Cab
nice one, welcome, you gotta love canon lens's!

I missed out the 450 and went straight from 350d to 50d, the 450d is a nice camera though, its come a long way since i got my 350d!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b

most reviews have said that for the price it is a little disapointing. It wants to be something it isnt. Nikon would have been better cincentrating on making a great DSLR rather than an above average camera and a camcorder. Heard a lot of people, especially Nikonians upgrading have found it disapointing.

The evil Giraffe - check here - www.camerapricebuster.com

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
most reviews have said that for the price it is a little disapointing. It wants to be something it isnt. Nikon would have been better cincentrating on making a great DSLR rather than an above average camera and a camcorder. Heard a lot of people, especially Nikonians upgrading have found it disapointing.

Perhaps, although image quality/iso performance is pretty much on a par with the D300, which sounds good to me.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

was speaking to a guy i know who has shot for getti images and reuters... he used to shoot solely canon cameras and has now switched to nikon and he used the d90 for a bit and says he loves it, has nothing bad to say about it at all and infact bought one for his wife to use!

it might be expensive, but canon also have tried the same... with the video thing...

i was saying i dont see the point in the video capability, he seemed to think that both companies are testing the water and he thinks they will add the video function to their pro models in the future if they get good feedback because it could be used in paperazi situations and documentary situations being able to grab high def images from the video having one continuous feed rather than possibly missing a image because you didnt fire the shutter quick enough...

koi

Audi S1
Nice lil upgrade there.

I have the 350d and that's more than enough for me at the moment, will learn to use it properly before upgrading.

The limited focus points on the D40 does annoy me sometimes.

Can't remember which setting it is, but you can lock focus and then re-frame the picture as much as you like with it still locked as you originally intended. For example, you want a person framed between two focus points, just use the centre one then move to the actual composition you want.

I've played around with professional cameras littered with focus points before and you still need to do that from time to time. My D50 only has 5 (all near the centre) and I have never ran into any issues, and I've worked my camera pretty hard.

Really liking the 450D, it does feel like a step up from the D40. Built quality is much better than the 350D that I have used once or twice and the screen is fantastic. Might get a GGS protector as its fairly exposed and knowing my luck I would probably end up scratching it!!!

There are a few small features that I like, the option to change how long a taken pic is displayed, the ISO button, the jog wheel and a few more!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...side&cameras=nikon_d40,canon_eos450d&show=all

The more reasonable comparison would be with a D80, which is now about the same price in Jessops.

I bought the battery grip for my 400d and the handling feel is so much better with it attached - also the extra buttons it gives you (ie, a 2nd trigger button for portrait mode and control wheel) are so handy and make the body so much more flexible. Panning shots are easier too.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Really liking the 450D, it does feel like a step up from the D40. Built quality is much better than the 350D that I have used once or twice and the screen is fantastic. Might get a GGS protector as its fairly exposed and knowing my luck I would probably end up scratching it!!!

There are a few small features that I like, the option to change how long a taken pic is displayed, the ISO button, the jog wheel and a few more!

What have you done with all those lovely nikkor lenes then? Sold?

ISO button is really a issue for my on the D40, Fn button and scroll wheel changes it.

2014 Focus Titanium
I have a 400D and am going to upgrade to a 2nd hand 40D come next year, love canon :D Still though, nikon are great too! Welcome to the light side :D

Megane Mk4
I expect flaming from the Nikonians, and a warm welcome from the Canonians!
I ain't going to flame, my mistake was never trying a Cannon before buying my Nikon. I might just venture out to Jessops this weekend and have a play with a Cannon :quiet:

No seriously, I mean it.. Is the playability better on the Cannon JJ?

I ain't going to flame, my mistake was never trying a Cannon before buying my Nikon. I might just venture out to Jessops this weekend and have a play with a Cannon :quiet:

Try a Canon first though Andi ;)

I find it is Andi, buttons are very well laid out, can pretty much change everything without moving away from the shutter.

Its nice to have dedicated buttons for ISO, AF, Timer/Remote etc, unlike on the D40 where you can set one to the FN button but have to change the others through the menus.

The overall feel of the camera is good, its a bit bigger than the D40 but remains very light. The screen is fantastic, quality is superb.

Overall it just feels more polished and up a level from entry standards. The 18-55is kit lens is surprisingly good, its not going to win any awards, but is very good all the same.

Anything else, feel free to ask!