ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye Bye Race car.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
A sad end just as I was getting some good results.

Crashed1.jpgCrashed4.jpgCrashed3.jpgCrashed2.jpg

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
That’s s**t.

looks like the cage did it’s job, was it welded onto the front turrets?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What are the rules on your race series? Clearly the guy moves left, then right into your path which caused the collision.

But at no point were you ever in front of him, so can he move unlimited times to defend his position?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
That’s s**t.

looks like the cage did it’s job, was it welded onto the front turrets?
No, we are limited to 6 point bolt in only. Was a fairly square impac so evenly taken by chassis legs and engine.

What are the rules on your race series? Clearly the guy moves left, then right into your path which caused the collision.

But at no point were you ever in front of him, so can he move unlimited times to defend his position?
No he can move once, and once moved should always leave a cars width to the other side. He did neither. He got excluded (from quali only) and given 4 points. (race license are similar to road, 12 points and a race ban, but only on year for 1 yr.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
No he can move once, and once moved should always leave a cars width to the other side. He did neither. He got excluded (from quali only) and given 4 points. (race license are similar to road, 12 points and a race ban, but only on year for 1 yr.

He's lucky you didn't beat the s**t out of him after you both got back to the pit area. If you were a couple of feet further back you'd have caught his rear wheel and sent him cartwheeling into the tyres, mores the pity.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Who was it driving?

And why (forgive my ignorance) we’re you trying to overtake on the left? Weren’t you coming up to a right handed bend??
Its racing, you can over take either side. I wasnt really expecting to run round the outside, although its possible. More likeyl I would have let him take the tighter line he was supposed to be on, then cut back, get a better run out the right handed ready for the next tight left. I was about 1sec a lap quicker than him.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
And why (forgive my ignorance) we’re you trying to overtake on the left? Weren’t you coming up to a right handed bend??

Could he have not managed to cut inside?

If the other car remained where it should have been it would have gone into that corner too shallow and washed out wide on the exit, giving the OP the opportunity to cut inside and make the overtake.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
You must be gutted. For anyone asking why the OP was positioned on the outside then I can see why they’re asking. It looks like you were trying to go deeper into the corner to pick up exit speed. He should have been taking a shallower apex. You were going to brake later and his early braking has compounded the move.

Looks like he panicked and moved over to cover you. No offence but it’s a Clio series, he’s not going to F1 if he keeps you behind.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
So sorry to see this. Especially as I can only guess the costs involved in racing.

Glad to hear you are ok.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
First of all sorry to see one person's hard work destroyed in seconds. The main thing is you walked away from it and if you can do that from any accident then it's a good accident.

As for the incident, I think it's clear the large yellow square and black cross says all it needs to say.. He is inexperienced and needed to be treated with caution, not only that I assume he never once looked in his wing mirror when lining up for the corner entrance thus collecting you. There was no need to move left like they did as you could have taken that with their track position. Its sheer inexperience as to why they decided to move out to the left to make the entrance wider but failed to look before moving out.

I could be wrong but from where I am sitting that is what it looks like to me.

I did say the person in front needs to be treated with caution but sadly there was nothing you could have done differently in that instance without backing right off and hindering your own quali lap. Assuming the damage is comparable between both cars and will act as a costly mistake by the black car and fingers crossed learnt from it and won't be making the same mistake again and use their mirrors more often. Racing isn't just about looking forward, more attention is needed behind and around you more so than forward.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
First of all sorry to see one person's hard work destroyed in seconds. The main thing is you walked away from it and if you can do that from any accident then it's a good accident.

As for the incident, I think it's clear the large yellow square and black cross says all it needs to say.. He is inexperienced and needed to be treated with caution, not only that I assume he never once looked in his wing mirror when lining up for the corner entrance thus collecting you. There was no need to move left like they did as you could have taken that with their track position. Its sheer inexperience as to why they decided to move out to the left to make the entrance wider but failed to look before moving out.

I could be wrong but from where I am sitting that is what it looks like to me.

I did say the person in front needs to be treated with caution but sadly there was nothing you could have done differently in that instance without backing right off and hindering your own quali lap. Assuming the damage is comparable between both cars and will act as a costly mistake by the black car and fingers crossed learnt from it and won't be making the same mistake again and use their mirrors more often. Racing isn't just about looking forward, more attention is needed behind and around you more so than forward.

From what I understand he has raced some years back, and the novice cross is there as he had to retake an ARDs due to not keeping a license running for more than 5 yrs. However his first race at Donny he was nearly as unpredictable, but nothing as bad as this - so that possibly should have alerted me more (hindsight and all that).
Its not that he had no need to move back, he cant which made me think he must know (as pretty much any one with a touch of racing knowledge, even those that just watch) in that its 1 direction to defend, and if moving again you keep a cars width. He knew I was there, (no need to defend along straight if he didn't), and even if he couldn't see me, i'm not going to have just disappeared, so should have assumed I would be somewhere close. I have no doubt he knew I was there, and whilst I don't believe it was a deliberate move to make contact, I do believe he moved over to block.
Sadly the damage wasnt comparable, in that he luckily swung back away from the wall and stopped before it, so he was back out for both races.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Hasn’t @Ads29 got a shell from his racing 172 that he is selling? Believe he has broken his race car for parts?
I have indeed, i suspect though that another 182 cup shell would be required, sure there's something in the regs that states you must use a particular chassis designation?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, it needs to be a 182 (doesnt need to be cup, but cup spec'd (spoiler and hubs), Fortunately I have my white one that I can use, but also need a new engine and suspect other parts too. It was supposed to be a race car anyway, but plan was to build an arrive and drive car to rent out. So that's on hold and will have to rebuild it over next few weeks and see what transpires. Would like to be out again this year but will certainly have to write off this season championship wise and try again next year or year after.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Sad to see your car destroyed as I was enjoying your progress!
It was certainly both a bad move on his part to leave the gap in the first place and then again to move over without checking where you were. That lack of experience really shows up in his spacial awareness.
However as tempting as it was it was never going to work as an overtake. I think this is an expensive learning experience on your part. With no power advantage you would never clear him before the corner and you would end up compromising your corner entry and exit speed.
Maybe one final note - at this point you were not racing for track position but for qualifying time. You were doing well to drop back before and you were a good half a second to a second a lap faster already. I think you would have been easily ahead come the race.
I lost a championship win by running into a slower competitor and getting a pitstop penalty in the final race so I do understand the difficulty you had there!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh thats s**t.

All I can say is perhaps he had no clue you were there? Not sure I would have positioned myself quite like that if I were in your shoes given its not a race but I'm not in your shoes and know f**k all about racing so all I can say is good luck with the rebuild.

I mean, unless he fully knew you were there and did it deliberately, in which case he needs a good bumming.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
In that situation you would’ve been better off keeping the power on. It would’ve sent him round a lot sooner and done panel damage to your car. Trust me, ex banger racer so I know all about car placement to ruin someone else’s day.

Shame to see it come to an end like that for you.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
From what I understand he has raced some years back, and the novice cross is there as he had to retake an ARDs due to not keeping a license running for more than 5 yrs. However his first race at Donny he was nearly as unpredictable, but nothing as bad as this - so that possibly should have alerted me more (hindsight and all that).
Its not that he had no need to move back, he cant which made me think he must know (as pretty much any one with a touch of racing knowledge, even those that just watch) in that its 1 direction to defend, and if moving again you keep a cars width. He knew I was there, (no need to defend along straight if he didn't), and even if he couldn't see me, i'm not going to have just disappeared, so should have assumed I would be somewhere close. I have no doubt he knew I was there, and whilst I don't believe it was a deliberate move to make contact, I do believe he moved over to block.
Sadly the damage wasnt comparable, in that he luckily swung back away from the wall and stopped before it, so he was back out for both races.
Hindsight is a lovely thing and all that...

From what you've just said as siding with you I hope it wasn't deliberate and was an honest mistake but again where did he expect you to be or to have vanished to? Also sounds harsh but it is a shame it isn't comparable which just rubs salt in the already gaping hole!

Did you get a chance to speak with him after the session?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted for you fella.

The joys of novice championships - some good fair racers, but also Trackday heroes (bellends) - which is why I decided not to race mine.

Hope you can bounce back as you were doing well.

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
In that situation you would’ve been better off keeping the power on. It would’ve sent him round a lot sooner and done panel damage to your car. Trust me, ex banger racer so I know all about car placement to ruin someone else’s day.

Shame to see it come to an end like that for you.
Top tip right there! Spoken with experience 👍🏼

Gutted Dave, chin up onwards and upwards 👍🏼

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Could he have not managed to cut inside?

If the other car remained where it should have been it would have gone into that corner too shallow and washed out wide on the exit, giving the OP the opportunity to cut inside and make the overtake.
Yeahhhh but it's only qualifying, not really necessary to over take I know where @Daniel is coming from.

I dunno about you, but I wouldn't have been down the narrowing outside of a novice going into that corner irrespective of their positioning coming up to it.

It is what it is, stewards handed out a fair punishment. We've been stung in racing a fair few times, getting tw@ed by a TCR car behind a safety car, Ginetta Junior leaving a gap then just closing it suddenly forcing us into the tyre wall, being turned into mid corner etc etc. Build a new one and carry on.