ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye Bye Skoda, Hello GT86.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Love the car and colour.

Summertown car park:
11999817_10156066108375385_7055973845113348704_o.jpg

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Problem is which wheels as there are so many to choose from! All the ones I like are £1k +

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Love the car and colour.

Summertown car park:

Cheers! haha well spotted.

Did you say you can replace the Lexus lights? If so do it, do it now. Would improve the rear 1 million percent.

You can, but due to the unique way aftermarket parts for Japanese Cars, they are f**king expensive. These are the cheapest option:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FT86-FT-8...-for-TOYOTA-/361123618934?hash=item5414a52076

Problem is which wheels as there are so many to choose from! All the ones I like are £1k +

I'd accept some cheaper Rotas.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I've driven one of these and do like it. But I can't help but feel it's too compromised.

Still quite expensive for something that would get left behind by a hot hatch and not exactly economical either. Lovely seats though and I do like the look.
I wanted one. I just presumed £15k would have been enough. I went on PH and was like HOW MUCH? back to the drawing board!

SQ5
Can you not have someone mix up the car colour with A LOT of thinners to get a very clear coat red one the rear lights?

Maybe try on a second hand set first!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Can you not have someone mix up the car colour with A LOT of thinners to get a very clear coat red one the rear lights?

Maybe try on a second hand set first!

I think if you look on ft20 forum there's a few who have painted their rear lights.

Remember, I'm a child of the VW StanceUSDM SIK BRUV scene ;) This has been one of the options for a while, and I probably will when I can be bothered! haha. We need to re-do Zi's Z3 rears if he ever gets the car back on the road, as they have faded. So will probably do mine at the same time!

9000398204_f6cbd927f6_c.jpg
Zi's Z3. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Suzuki Jimny
Love these. Think i'll end up with one after the clio.
Always find it funny when people loved the clio 200, and then say that these are too slow, they're both 200bhp ffs!
Like the dark grey colour. Also like the primo with no spoiler most :)

Swift Sport
People jump on the bandwagon... Basically they've read a review of someone saying it wasn't super-fast, so it must be slow then!

I've said a million times but unless you're a fantastic driver and you have access to a racetrack, you really don't need 'fast'.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The problem is the lack of torque. To get the benefit of rwd, you need more power. Or crappy tyres. The problem with crappy tyres is that yes, it will oversteer. But the tyres are shitty, they don't respond on turn in or braking like a performance tyre should.

I've driven one on decent rubber, and it's transformed. Just better in every respect, ups it's game massively. But then it's lack of power becomes an issue because you can't unstick the rear without massive provocation.

It's not massively far away from being an utter hero of a car. It could of been the default choice for anyone in the market for a performance car. But it missed the target. Reminds me of driving the rx8. Bloody immense chassis, hobbled by an engine that stops you overtaking dickheads in 1.6 diesels.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The problem is the lack of torque. To get the benefit of rwd, you need more power. Or crappy tyres. The problem with crappy tyres is that yes, it will oversteer. But the tyres are shitty, they don't respond on turn in or braking like a performance tyre should.

I've driven one on decent rubber, and it's transformed. Just better in every respect, ups it's game massively. But then it's lack of power becomes an issue because you can't unstick the rear without massive provocation.

It's not massively far away from being an utter hero of a car. It could of been the default choice for anyone in the market for a performance car. But it missed the target. Reminds me of driving the rx8. Bloody immense chassis, hobbled by an engine that stops you overtaking dickheads in 1.6 diesels.

Clio 200: 215 Nm
GT86: 205 Nm

It's hardly a yawning gap. But I admit, there's a flatspot mid range that can catch you out if you're used to Turbo stuff. But now I'm in swing with the car, I know when to drop down and keep it in the power band. To me, there seems to be decent power at the bottom end as well as the top. I've never felt like its too sluggish, and never felt like I dont have the confidence to overtake anything. I usually have to overtake at least 1 dickhead a day on my commute anyway!

This car will never suit everyones driving style though. PH's Matt Bird seems to be loving his as much as everyone else that drives one daily anyway!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Clio 200: 215 Nm
GT86: 205 Nm

It's hardly a yawning gap. But I admit, there's a flatspot mid range that can catch you out if you're used to Turbo stuff. But now I'm in swing with the car, I know when to drop down and keep it in the power band. To me, there seems to be decent power at the bottom end as well as the top. I've never felt like its too sluggish, and never felt like I dont have the confidence to overtake anything. I usually have to overtake at least 1 dickhead a day on my commute anyway!

This car will never suit everyones driving style though. PH's Matt Bird seems to be loving his as much as everyone else that drives one daily anyway!
Not saying they're bad cars, far from it. But it could of been a game changer.

The comparison to the 200 is interesting. On paper they'd be close, but in reality tips struggle to hold onto one on a decent Road, because of the prius spec rubber. And I (personally) find you don't get the benefit of rwd without more power. One of my favourite things about the m3 turning the tc off, and getting small movements in the exit of roundabouts etc. You don't get that with the gt86 because you need more momentum to compensate for the lack of torque.

Few years down the road, 10k brz with a aftermarket blower (250-280bhp) and some proper rubber will be amazing. Immense driving position, great gearshift, and good looking.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Too much grip is definitely a bad thing. But currently there aren't any tyres that offer low lateral grip without sacrificing response afaik.
And it's not just grip, it's the balance between power, response and grip imo.

Couldn't agree more.

It's all very well saying reduce grip and you don't need as much power to 'have fun'. But what happens when you want to come to a fast halt???

SQ5
Too much grip is definitely a bad thing. But currently there aren't any tyres that offer low lateral grip without sacrificing response afaik.

I find Toyo T1Rs and Yokohama Parada Spec 2 do the above, can be a great tyre when not pushing too much and they will go when you give it a little more

320d

I drive a 1.6 Diesel, am I a dickhead?

I'm pretty sure I can prompt this answer..

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
And thats what the GT86 does so well. It's not just sticking space savers on a car, its getting the right balance. And it's prefect. The feel of the thing is just fantastic.

Couldn't agree more.

It's all very well saying reduce grip and you don't need as much power to 'have fun'. But what happens when you want to come to a fast halt???

As above. But it still has grip, low weight and good brakes (plus ABS, Traction Control etc. etc.). So there is no problem stopping it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I really didn't like these when it came out, but now they look gorgeous! With different wheels obvious.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Wow! That blue one with different lights and diffuser is very nice. Wonder how much that change cost.. Worth every penny Id say.

The blue one boosted, wrapped, on kW coilovers, exhaust, oz ultra amongst other stuff. Quite a bit spent:

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Bet it's still cheaper than a new Golf R and 10x more fun though haha

Eh, 10x more fun than a Golf R? BWAEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!HAHAHAHAHA!

No.

Certainly better looking and get more attention though.