ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

C4 gone wrong

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
A few weeks back I began treating all back plastics on my 172 but after they have cured the more heavily textured plastics like wing mirror edges and mounts have almost white/grey colouration in the textured dimples. Can I simply scrub clean dry and retreat of is a more radical approach required?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It won't just wash off.. that's the point...

How did you prepare the surfaces ? This would have been key.

Any pics of issues etc ? Someone like @gally might have some good ideas.

If it was the paintwork, you could probably machine polish it off but being plastic.........

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
As above prep is key and all though you are dealing with plastics they have to be treated as if you was ceramic coating paint work, completely washed fully with shampoo then a final IPA wipe down so their is no other previous product left on the plastics dirt or oils.SJ.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
A few weeks back I began treating all back plastics on my 172 but after they have cured the more heavily textured plastics like wing mirror edges and mounts have almost white/grey colouration in the textured dimples. Can I simply scrub clean dry and retreat of is a more radical approach required?

Did you let the surfaces get wet/damp within the first 24 hours of applying the product?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
😖 I did it thinking it wasn't going to rain which it didnt until that night. Is that reversible?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've only got C4, shall I try a recoat or clean up and reapply?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I was recommended car pro pearl by some members on here I went through all the steps and clay mit across with plenty of water then did two applications and have come up like brand new

You have to clay the plastic first!?
Got some of this on order going to give it a go friday.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have just done all the grills and fog surrounds on the bumper.

I took them off the bumper and scrubbed them with washing liquid and warm water to take any other products off.

Dried them well and left them in the livingroom over night, applied the C4 next again day and then left them again for 24h to cure in the house.

Its best (Where possible) to take the plastic off and make sure its clean and dry.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The reapplication can actually help a lot. When leveling top coats you can go over the same area and them remove safely.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has gone the same only after a few months & im pretty sure i did it all correctly.I took the wing mirrors & scuttle off,washed down with washing up liquid,let it dry then went over with ipa & applied the C4 then let to set over a couple of days.

The lower splitter & spot light surrounds seem ok,i thought it may of been when i snow foamed the car as noticed straight after.

Maybe the C4 may work better on newer plastics or smooth trim??
20200411_100614.jpg

I now have bought some Solution finish,the same as @Sunglasses_Ron has.It looks like a decent & easier product to apply by reviews & youtube detailers

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Mine has gone the same only after a few months & im pretty sure i did it all correctly.I took the wing mirrors & scuttle off,washed down with washing up liquid,let it dry then went over with ipa & applied the C4 then let to set over a couple of days.

The lower splitter & spot light surrounds seem ok,i thought it may of been when i snow foamed the car as noticed straight after.

Maybe the C4 may work better on newer plastics or smooth trim??
View attachment 1508267

I now have bought some Solution finish,the same as @Sunglasses_Ron has.It looks like a decent & easier product to apply by reviews & youtube detailers
I'm not overly impressed with C4, my plastics look almost no different after one summer

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
@Niall has recommended me to use the gyeon equivalent. He’s has good results using it. Torn on what to go for now!

Peculiar as it lasted 2+ years on my texture plastics when I first used it many moons ago, so that shouldn't be the issue.

To clarify, C4 won't darken your trim or return it to "as new", as it doesn't remove oxidation. Solution Finish does. So I believe the best option is SF then sealed with a product like C4 for longevity.

Clio 197
Are you treating them because they’re faded or to make them “pop”? If it’s the former, it’s easier just respraying them at home.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
CarPro Dlux lasts ages on plastic, in fact I got a bit on my mirror glass which has been visible for years now 😂
I was coating the headlights with CarPro Dlux so I thought I'd try some on my scuttle panel and the black plastic on the wing mirrors . I didn't prep the plastic and I didn't remove it, I just left it on o_O That was over 12 months ago and it's still looking good :)