ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAD Questions Thread?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
after seeing this I had to do my own
http://imgur.com/a/dHSCB#pXgnQ5y
DSC_1752_zps917996b4.jpg

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I know and that's very kind, but its been converted and altered - job done.
couldn't find a free install so found an online jpg to dxf which I can open in cad
Yeah, thanks. Luckily it only took me 10 minutes and I now have a CAD QR Code for future use (like a bag of tungsten tipped screws I imagine).
QR Code.jpg

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
need some help please, made this shape and when I try to do pedit to join everything up it goes made and I cant seem to get it to work correctly.

whats the issue?

www.laser-man.co.uk/test/test.dwg

Your lines don't connect correctly, mainly due to the rad's not being properly tangential. If you do a pedit it joins up some, the places it doesn't join means there is an issue with where the lines intersect, so zoom in on them and see that they do not join correctly. I've screens hotted mine below, on the left near the curser you'll see the 2 blue boxes marking the end of the lines are in different positions, easiest way is to just drag one onto the other. Will mean it's slightly out of shape but you're talking fractions of a mm so never be noticed.

ScreenShot2014-10-18at220408_zpsb19ecf32.gif

Hope that helps.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
umm interesting, many thanks.

I deleted the lines and redrew them, so how the fudge can they not be connected? I snapped onto the other lines when redrawing then

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Not sure to be honest….
Did you draw it square and then use the rad tool? If you want I can do it and email it to you?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
done it now, deleted a load of straight lines and redrew them.

once again thanks for the advice

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Having a small issue: CAD '14 on MBP and I cant pan? two fingers used to be move, now its zoom along with the usual two opening/closing fingers? I can't seem to find anyway of changing this??

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Having a small issue: CAD '14 on MBP and I cant pan? two fingers used to be move, now its zoom along with the usual two opening/closing fingers? I can't seem to find anyway of changing this??

Only way I managed to do it is by using a mouse with a clickable roller wheel like on a windows machine unfortunately. Be interested to find a way though!

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Only way I managed to do it is by using a mouse with a clickable roller wheel like on a windows machine unfortunately. Be interested to find a way though!

I've a Magic (?) Mouse (the old white BT one with a ball) and a BT track pad.. working on the sofa currently and prefer using the trackpad for some things so if anyone knows a way...!!!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Another Solidworks clown here! Although I was brought up on 3DS Max I stopped after a few years then picked Solidworks back up after Andy challenged me to help program some things for his CNC. Enjoying it very much really simple to master took me about a day or 2 and quite intuitive. I now want a CNC Machine as a hobby Andy has made me jealous I love to export the model into CAMBAM or just use HSMWorks (Solidworks CAM plugin) and run them through CNCSimulater.

I made my own. took me about a week to source all parts /design and build. works a treat!

thinking of converting it to a 3D printer now, need to get a 4th axis sorted!

Last edited:

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Another menial yet frustrating problem.... A colleague imported some topo data into CAD from GIS (X, Y & Z axis). Usually you can see the Z data within the line as a small number etc which scales when zooming. I'm making a relatively vague section elevation of a Cable Car across our site so its about 1km long with a lot of height changes. Clicking each line and checking properties in the original file (it's xref'd in) will take me an age!!!! I've tried google but i can't think really what I'm looking for...?

oh and its not a layer thats been switched off :(

Thanks!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I made my own. took me about a week to source all parts /design and build. works a treat!

thinking of converting it to a 3D printer now, need to get a 4th axis sorted!

good job on the router, what movement you got and what motor?
I see your using mach3, same here

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
good job on the router, what movement you got and what motor?
I see your using mach3, same here

all three axis are using Nema 23 stepper motors with 283oz-in @ 3A, driving a m8 lead screw rod. Working bed area is 70cmx50cm with a max depth of 12cm. however because of my rail design, the length of the bed can actually be made as long as needed.

yeah mach3 seems to do the job well with my interface board, so happy with that for now :smile:

wouldn't mind adding a 4th axis like this guys has done though...

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
thought it best to keep on topic so moved the conversation to here

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/my-new-toy.660224/page-4

all three axis are using Nema 23 stepper motors with 283oz-in @ 3A, driving a m8 lead screw rod. Working bed area is 70cmx50cm with a max depth of 12cm. however because of my rail design, the length of the bed can actually be made as long as needed.

yeah mach3 seems to do the job well with my interface board, so happy with that for now :smile:

wouldn't mind adding a 4th axis like this guys has done though...

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
the offers come flooding in ;)

anyone use auto track for CAD?
any got a copy i could install for autocad 2006?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
say using the line drawing function in CAD and you draw a 3d cube, its not a solid object just a bunch of lines. how do you make it a solid object as pedit doesn't work?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
say using the line drawing function in CAD and you draw a 3d cube, its not a solid object just a bunch of lines. how do you make it a solid object as pedit doesn't work?
Why would you need to? You could just delete all but the "bottom" square and extrude it to the height you wanted no?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
the offers come flooding in :wink:

anyone use auto track for CAD?
any got a copy i could install for autocad 2006?
Also Andy, why are you using such an archaic version of CAD?

If you're happy to install team viewer on your machine and give me control for a couple of hours, I'll dropbox a file and update you. (I fear I've already asked i but don't remember).

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yep you are right if you were drawing a square, im just not actually drawing a square.

it was just easier to use a square in my example of what I wanted to do

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Also Andy, why are you using such an archaic version of CAD?

If you're happy to install team viewer on your machine and give me control for a couple of hours, I'll dropbox a file and update you. (I fear I've already asked you but don't remember).
id fooking love that...

will message you over the next few days when I have some spare time. what version can I get?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
yep you are right if you were drawing a square, im just not actually drawing a square.

it was just easier to use a square in my example of what I wanted to do

Ok, so what are you trying to do? I think the answer is that you need to use solids. You can achieve literally anything with them, it's just knowing how to do it.

id fooking love that...

will message you over the next few days when I have some spare time. what version can I get?

I think I have a copy of 2012 floating around. What's your computer like?

I'll need a bit of time to dig my version out and then get it onto somewhere you can download it from, then I can remote access and install all being well.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ok, so what are you trying to do? I think the answer is that you need to use solids. You can achieve literally anything with them, it's just knowing how to do it.

I think I have a copy of 2012 floating around. What's your computer like?

I'll need a bit of time to dig my version out and then get it onto somewhere you can download it from, then I can remote access and install all being well.

its not a square but i want to copy a shape with the line function then turn those lines into a solid shape. will take a look at the solid function when i get home.

my laptop is ok spec wise. dual core 4 gb of ram, SSD hard drive

but i have two machines with CAD on, my laptop and my desktop which runs my cnc, i need it on both. i also plan to get a new laptop soon, so is there an option to get a CD from you so i can install myself? or is that out the question?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
this is what im struggling with, making the below which is just a bunch of lines a solid object

Untitled_zps4b37c096.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ive done a drawing of someones house for them at 1:1 scale and ive done some viewports with different angles of the house in.

how do I scale these so like 1:500 etc...?

im using autocad 2006

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
click on the viewport right click and go to properties.

In properties there scale and custom scale. You can either use one of the predetermined scales or put your own custom one in.

for example 1:500 would be 0.002 (1 divided by 500)

The viewport will need to be unlocked to change the scale

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Many thanks I'll give that a go, there any many Web sites detailing many calculations but none seemed to be the right format for cad.