ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cage, Harness Bar... Advice please!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Hi everyone,

Background, ph2 172 with corbeau buckets, oreca harnesses (4 point), Jon Foz frames (when I order them!).

Im aware of the risks running harnesses in the seatbelt holes and the less than ideal angles.

Can I get away with a harness bar between the rear turrets and if so, any guidance on what I would need? Plates either side and bolted in? Tube or box section and threaded inserts for eyelets?

Or am I better saving for a rear cage?

This 'cheap' track toy is turning into a bit of an expensive addiction at the moment!

Cheers.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Mine got expensive fast, the way you "plan" to have it without the harness bar isn't ideal but it will be good enough. My budget track toy got expensive quick seeing as we've spent the value of the car and then some now. Rather than mucking about with a harness bar just save for a cage.

Markfish > Safety Devices > job done

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I couldn't possibly say I took it to Amery Motorsport to have it professionally fitted, it cost a pretty penny but I don't mind when the finish is so good.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Thanks. Easy to fit the MF cage?
Fitted my safety devices half cage, as long as you can get someone with decent welding skills to weld in the spreader plates on the floor it isn't that difficult to fit really

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I wanted a harness bar, as I didn't want a full cage.

This is a 'bolt in' job with spreader plates etc.

15184403723_4950b28c8a_c.jpg
clio-2014-11-update-4 by Adam Lister, on Flickr

15801971391_8b8d5dd63c_c.jpg
clio-2014-11-update-1 by Adam Lister, on Flickr

I don't know specifics, as I got it done for me. However, the angles of the shoulder straps were much better than using the seat belt holes.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Fitted my safety devices half cage, as long as you can get someone with decent welding skills to weld in the spreader plates on the floor it isn't that difficult to fit really

Not to mention the resealing of the underside, as it bubbles so it needs scraping off then sealing.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I would go straight for a cage with harness bar. Then you know you're safe. Why risk your spine over a few £!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Options atm are the ebay cage, Sassa rear cage, MF rear cage. Need to do some thinking!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I am curious as to the perceived risk of only having a harness bar vs a cage?

The main risk is the fact that you're fixed in the upright position, so if you were to roll it and the roof came in on your head, you won't be able to move where as a seatbelt you can move around a bit. Very unlikely to roll it, but you never know.

172 Rally Car
That as it may be, I would suggest there are more benefits to be gained from having a bucket seats and harness'?
I would think that you will have a large decrease is spinal and whiplash typed injuries for the majority of the accidents/incidents that you will have out on track? I would also question how much real movement you are going to have when the pre tensioners have deployed, and due to the forces involved how much influence you will have on moving away from the roof that is coming in at you?