ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caliper Bolts grinding against Rear disc

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So i changed the rear disc a couple weeks ago on my 182 with genuine disc and pads from Renault, also ordered new spacers and nuts from George. Everything has been fine and i've probably done 6-700 miles on them.

Last night i nipped out for a drive to test out my new tyres, and as i was heading home i noticed a grinding noise coming from the passenger rear wheel, I assumed it would be a stone or something between the pad and disc.

After taking the wheel off and looking around i noticed that the caliper bolt was now touching the back of the disc.

Tried taking pictures, but as it was around 10pm, the darkness made it difficult.

Rear of disc:
IMG_20160710_223507_zpseuduaf2s.jpg

End of caliper bolt:
IMG_20160710_223406_zpsgvbnufvr.jpg

I managed to find a couple of washer (taken of my squat rack/cage), that spaced the bolt back about 1mm.
IMG_20160710_223545_zpss7jbvcdu.jpg

However i'm lost to explain how this could have happened, and whether there is a problem somewhere else causing this that i need to look into. Anyone got any ideas?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Yep, I purposely ordered new spacers when i bought the disc and pads to replace them. I was 100% happy I'd put it all back together correctly, but this is making me question myself now.

I changed the rear disc a couple of times on my old 182, so i've done the change 3 times now.

The wheel/disc, still turns freely and smoothly now the bolts are out the way.

The strangest thing is that it's been fine for over 2 weeks, then all of a sudden it started rubbing last night. The only thing that has changed in that time is that i had a full set of tyres fitted on saturday morning, though i'm struggling to think of why that would change anything.

02 Iceberg 172
Check that the bearing circlip hasn't popped and allowed the rotor to move. I had this happen to me when I had a bearing replaced and the circlip wasn't set in the groove properly, car drove fine with no issues for weeks until the circlip finally popped.

TBH if they were genuine rotors I would be surprised as I thought they came with the bearings prefitted iirc? But you never know...