ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caliper Painting Help Needed

Can i use Hammerite Smooth Red paint on my calipers???? i did see the high heat paint but it only comes in Matt Black which is no good.
Answers on a postcard please.

Cheers

my cousin used this hammerite stuff on his and after a year or so it slowly starts to flake off, just buy the proper stuff to do the job mate

james

halfords, demon tweeks anybody like that... its proper caliper paint with a tin of hardner with it, think its about £20

james

cup 172 mk2 + Scooby
Hi hope this helps , I used Carplan heat resistant engine lacquer on mine and it still looks good 2 years later .
Paint was about five pound's from a discount motor store and is available in various colours.
Painted the calipers silver first them finnished them off in Red.
Will try and post a piccy

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Theres no point using the Caliper paint, the only difference between that and Hammerite is that hammerite already contains the hardner, whereas the caliper paint is a 2-part paint which needs to be mixed.... The caliper paint is 5 times the price aswell. Give it a good scrub with wire brush and then give it 4-5 coats and you'll b reet.

Stokoe_Sport172 said:
Theres no point using the Caliper paint, the only difference between that and Hammerite is that hammerite already contains the hardner, whereas the caliper paint is a 2-part paint which needs to be mixed.... The caliper paint is 5 times the price aswell. Give it a good scrub with wire brush and then give it 4-5 coats and you'll b reet.

but why arse about giving it 5 coats when you can give it 1 coat with the proper stuff and job done........whats this 'reet' lol

cup 172 mk2 + Scooby
Wheel piccy

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN0994.JPG
    Copy of DSCN0994.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 59

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If its flaked off , then the calipers were either dirty or had grease on them . Make sure you clean them well and you'll have no problem with hammerite smooth .

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
hammerite smooth, £2.50 from ebay, wire brush and sandpaper down and its been fine for 6 months! the proper caliper paint is a waste of money imo when hammerite is fine when the caliper is as said above, properly cleaned

R

Rebecca

I am an artist and David and I did his by cleaning them and using hammerite smooth. His worked out fine. I would rather do several thin coats when painting anything rather than 1 thick coat. Using thin coats ensures a much better overall finish. I haven't seen any signs of wear and tear on them at all so far and it does get a good ragging.

Rebecca

R

Rebecca

lewisniven said:
what do ppl clean the calipers with? i want to do mine.

th_images.jpg

A bit of elbow grease should do the trick and a wire brush.

Rebecca

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Just get a can off brake degreaser/cleaner and use a wire brush.

TBH, I just washed them over then a load of brake cleaner as it drys up within a few seconds.