ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caliper Painting-Your view

SLK 350

Hi people,

Right im going to paint my calipers sometime this week but im looking for suggestion on what colour will look best. Its an Icerberg 172 which has yellow koni adjustables on.

So what colour shall i paint them?

P.S First person to say pink gets a slap :)

Silver or black.

Rears are too small so look w**k when done in bright colours such as yellow IMO

yup ^^^ silver or black as said above did my corsa ones blue (was my first car) looking back it just looks gash any other bright colours! so stick to black or go silver? its my opinion! ;)

SLK 350

Thanks for the opinion guys (cheers phil hehe) any more ideas?

So far silver/black seems to be order of the day, as phil says my wheels expose a lot of caliper.

Cheers.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

i think red looks ok, gonna do mine that colour. the new golf gti have em, and they are standard ish looking too, ie not brembro 4 pots etc

also the skoda vrs motors have green, this though is an acquied taste methinks

SLK 350

Wel thanks very much guys, great feedback and pics. Must say im particularly drawn by the whole yellow theme especially given my struts are yellow.

Tomorrows project perhaps! :)

Renaultsport Clio 172 16v

How is it that a car thats as old as a cossie still looks so good!? I would have the calipers black or silver, unless you have hi-spec brakes then maybe red or yellow.

[Edited by Anotherblue16v on 09 September 2005 at 8:10pm]

Quote: Originally posted by ozzyo99 on 10 September 2005

^^^Lower your car some mate would look mint.

Well i took the plunge and went for yellow (never buy halfords caliper paint btw, its sh*te)

Picture (bad light on phone cam) overall im impressed with the look, although im going to give them a final coat over the weekend once paint is fully cured, and do the back calipers.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/mavuk/172/DSC00339.jpg

Fred Styleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:D

http://premium1.uploadit.org/smokey/Hybrid/DSC00839.JPG

Clio 1.8 16v

A friend of mine used that high temp hammer right paint. you dont have to mix it unlike caliper paint, and it drys quicker. I have to say the final result looked well good.

Dont know if the alloys are a good brand or something but they look sh*te, makes it look like a 1.4 with cheapo alloys in my opinion. :cry:

Sorry, dont take it personally mate. Its just my own view, tis your motor :)

SLK 350

Quote: Originally posted by ricjax99 on 10 September 2005

Dont know if the alloys are a good brand or something but they look sh*te, makes it look like a 1.4 with cheapo alloys in my opinion.

Sorry, dont take it personally mate. Its just my own view, tis your motor
The alloys came fitted to the car (also have the originals) and apart from some scuffing which a refurb would fix, and the need for some new centre caps, i personally like the look of the alloy on the car. As you rightly pointed out, its not your car so its of little worry to you.

Cant wait to see your Fiesta Zetec, must be lovely... ;)

Anyway, thanks to those who contributed to the thread, and helping me make an informed decision.

For the chap whom was asking about paint, if i was to give you any tips it would be this:

1. Use a good quality degreaser prior to painting, something like gunk engine cleaner is good stuff. Agitate it with a stiff detail (masonary)brush and then dry it off with an old towel - or rinse off. Allow to dry before commencing.

2. If you do end up buying halfords stuff, then dont apply it too thick. I found on the first caliper i was applying it too thick, which led to a few dribbles and as you will soon find out, after 30 seconds it doesnt enjoy being retouched...

3. If you have 2 jacks i would perhaps advise applying 1 coat on each caliper before moving to the next, this will allow 10 minutes at which point it will be touch dry and ready for another coat. Aiming for 3/4 thin coats in my opinion.

4. Make sure you use a stiff bristled brush as the paint is very heavy. Something like a 2.5" fence/outdoor brush would suffice.

5. Dont rush otherwise youll have yellow discs too.

Thats about all i can offer you, but its certainly a fiddly job which requires a degree of patience.