ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Calling all 197 and 200 Cup owners

Renaultsport 197
Hello all
Newbie here having just bought into an 07 197 Cup car. I've done a quick search and cannot find any reference or discussion about the new Clio Cup race series that kicked off over the weekend (apologies if you have discussed it already).

This new official Michelin Renault Clio Cup series with Protyre allows you to convert your road going 197 or 200 into a race car for very little money and gets you on the grid alongside (well ok behind) the ex-TOCA Cup cars. With full Renault and BARC (British Automobile Racing Club) support it is aimed at the track day enthusiasts and the 'road car' class runs on road tyres to keep costs down and really is a cheap way to go racing. Several different classes and trophies for novices and experienced racers it really is aimed at the beginner - and we all took our cars home undamaged!

Options available for DIY or pay a team to convert your car. One of the competitors at the weekend did it all himself, and ran himself with a mate as mechanic. He was awarded the "Spirit of Clio Cup award" and got a nice trophy for being a true "independent" entry. You buy a kit of parts to upgrade to rally brakes and suspension, instructions tell you how to fit the fire extinguisher and mandatory roll bar, bonnet pins etc. Your car will still be road legal but end up a proper stripped out racer. All you need is to take an ARDS test (easy peasy) and you are a proper racing driver.

Anyone interested in more details drop me a line or checkout the Renaultsport web site. I have no vested interest other than my lad being a competitor and trying to generate a few more on the grid. It suddenly makes track days look very tame!

Next event is 8 weeks away at Croft so plenty of time to get your car built. I can put you in touch with the right people and will give as much advice as I can.
regards
Neil

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
photo12_zps391359e5.jpg

We was at Snetterton on saturday, is this him by any chance?

Renaultsport 197
Wont you need a SADEV gearbox>?
No the ex-TOCA cars run at the front on their slicks and sequential boxes. The roadcar class is on road tyres (keeps costs down) and totally standard other than the parts shown below plus a rollcage.
There is talk of giving the road car class a tweak of a speed advantage so the front of our grid can mix it with the back of the slick shod grid.