ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Calling All V6 Owners

German Barge
Hello all,

Im going to be buying a Mk1 Clio V6 in the next few weeks - once the hybrid has gone... so looks like ill be staying in the club..

Now i have heard some people turn to me, and say "no no no, go for the Mk2 version! much better"... now is this STRICTLY true? When it comes down to it, there is no way i could afford a mk2, its simply not possible.

Im mainly after main facts, and features... since we no longer have "car info" on the site, thought it would be best to ask the owners...

really interested in things like.. what sort of brakes they have, how they fair in terms of performance, handling, and driveability. Also, fuel comsumption - this isn't a concern, just nice to know what sort of mileage they get, and any other information you think i should be aware of, before going to see one..

Looking at a silver, mk1 02 vee, 10,000 miles, completely standard this week.

Thanks for all information given in advance.

Chris.

Renault ChaVio
'Big' Christopher,
I am going to be buying a Vee soon, I was doing it ASAP but then put my car in for a £1k service and put on some other bits like new tyres and, disks and stuff so I've decided to drive it for another 6 months and get some value out of it and hopefully give the V6 prices time to deflate a bit.

I'm unsure as to which car to get. I like the look of the MK1 a lot and they are much better value with many of them having done very few miles for a car of their age. I'll probably end up going for the MK2 car but my reasons are mor to do with wanting a newer car with a warranty than the handling stories. The interior of the later car looks slightly better and it goes a bit faster and I think has a few little extras like cruise control (like I'm ever going to drive with that on!).

If the V6 is what you want and the MK1 is on budget then buy one. Just drive it carefully until you feel confident with it and always make sure you drive like your grandmother in the wet. Going from a front wheel drive car to a mid-engined rear drive is a big difference and I'm sure this is what has caught out a lot of those motoring hacks who spread the car's reputation as a widow maker. It obviously has a bite but I can't see it being a problem driven with a bit of respect.

If I were you I'd go and buy the MK1 and spend another £170 with someone like this:
www.carlimits.com

Then you can tell all those people who are going on about it to f**k off as you wanted a drivers' car you could have fun learning how to master.

An orange one
is the one your going to see at a delaers in bristol by any chance?

i want a mk1 simply cause of affordabilty, my dad who's not driven either says not to, ive driven a mk2 but not a mk1

i can thoroughly recommend the CarLimits day - taught me how to drive the Vee better and explore the limits of the handling, safely...
spin.gif

well stevev6 says the mk2 is a better car, and he's owned both

i'm prepared to accept his views

I have heard the mk2 is better, mk1 a bit more wooly and wild, haven't driven either, closest I've come is seeing one at the Motorshow, wouldn't mind a go of one if anyone was to offer me a drive lol

Renault Laguna Coupe
Just because people say the Mk2 is better doesn't mean the Mk1 isn't a damn good car. Get one, put a few quid aside for trackdays to learn how it goes. It'll be a blast.

German Barge
Yeh colin, why you seen it?

Aye... i mean if its simply a case of the mk1 being "more of a handful" then ill still get one, as like many have said, its simply a case of knowing the limits of the car!

An orange one
chris no not seen it but noticed one on autotrader 02 with 10,500 miles..looks very well indeed!

i have still never, ever seen a mk1 V6 on the road..and only 2 mk2's both illiad blue

Clio RS 172 Ph2
The Mk2 is better in every way to the mk1, but for me, the mk1 is the original & the classic Vee, and the mk1 prices are holding firm whereas the mk2's are still depreciating.

As Telford Mike says, the Mk1 is still a damn good car, whatever bad press it's had.

I'd not swap mine for a mk2!

Renault ChaVio
:) If any of you lot want to give a passenger ride in MK1 and MK2 Vees to help my selection process I'll happily return the favour for a ride in my car with your arse 10cm off the tarmac.

Clio V6 255 (Acid Yellow)
ant_v6 said:
:) If any of you lot want to give a passenger ride in MK1 and MK2 Vees to help my selection process I'll happily return the favour for a ride in my car with your arse 10cm off the tarmac.

Sounds good to me .