ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam change in the north west

182 Ly ff.
Does anyone know the best garage in the northwest to get the cam and aux belts done? and what sort of price i would be looking at? Thanks.

2002 clio 172 ph2
Has anyone here used both birchdown and northwest performance and can give relative strengths and weaknesses of each. just theres been no evidence to back up the claims. I also need the cambelt doing so need to find the best place for it to be carried out.

Cheers

DCi 100
I've been to Birchdown for pretty much everything now, atleast 6 times in the past year and acouple more to pick/drop friends off for their cars!

Can't fault them at all, trustworthy qualified mechanics with alot (ex dealership) experience, cheap labour rates and customer care is paramount to them which is unquestionnably spot on.

Perfect.

172cup/ insignia
Hi Lee,

timing belt kit, dephaser pulley and drive belt fitted inclusive of vat would be £460.38.

Regards
Andy

this is the price they have given me is this everything that will need doing are is their other things that should be done at the same time. As it seems quite cheap as iv seein people say £600+

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Hi Lee,

timing belt kit, dephaser pulley and drive belt fitted inclusive of vat would be £460.38.

Regards
Andy

this is the price they have given me is this everything that will need doing are is their other things that should be done at the same time. As it seems quite cheap as iv seein people say £600+

aye, but thats a cup. OP has aircon

172cup/ insignia
well bein quoted £150(local garage) to £190(renault dealer) just for a full service so might as well get service and all the belts done at nw performance for a bit more. will get it all done after my holiday i think

340i
well bein quoted £150(local garage) to £190(renault dealer) just for a full service so might as well get service and all the belts done at nw performance for a bit more. will get it all done after my holiday i think

Seriously, go to Birchdown... you would be a fool not to!

172 5HED
Birchdown fixed the cam timing on my 197 and also fitted the STD ones back when I sold it. You wont get better!

182 FF
I think its pretty obvious going from EVERYONE you should take it to birchdown. If sooo many people recommend them why haven't you got it booked in already! :)
You really cannot skimp & save on the F4R belts, get it done once and get it done right. I learnt this lesson, my car currently sits in Fred @ BTM's workshop having an new engine put in it.

Passat
Lads, I am currently sat in Birchdown's van in Chester while they do my cambelt, aux and dephaser (if necc after an inspection). Will be about £600 for the lot on my 172 with air con. The dephaser is £140 of that £600 but may not need doing. It's my first time here but the guys seem absolutely sound. And very knowledgeable also. I'll let you know how I get on

Passat
It only needs replacing if it's knackered...but if it needs doing then you have to get a new cam belt and aux kit. A good mechanic (birchdown) will tell you if it needs doing when they strip your car down. Birchdown said mine was fine and so didn't need replacing. I believe a knackered pulley causes your car to sound really bad, like a diesel, and also causes the car to eat fuel. Basically mate, if it needs doing, get it done. No extra labour charges for it, just £140 for the parts

Lionel Richie
I think its pretty obvious going from EVERYONE you should take it to birchdown. If sooo many people recommend them why haven't you got it booked in already! :)
You really cannot skimp & save on the F4R belts, get it done once and get it done right. I learnt this lesson, my car currently sits in Fred @ BTM's workshop having an new engine put in it.

youre old engine is PROPER fucked, had to use a hammer to disassemble the bottom end! one of your rods has gone blue

54 Clio 182 2.0
what about them Northwest garage? 100£ cheaper than birchdown, although my car does sound like a deisel and i get about 28 mpg if im trying hard so sounds like id need a dephraser as well ! :mad::mad: think im going to have sell it :(

320d
If I had my time again with my 172 I would have took it to Fred or Birchdown knowing what I know now. All I can say is I found out that 9 months after I had the belts done (sold it after 7) it needed a new inlet cam and the belts doing again. So yeah, essentially I wasted £490. Brilliant.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
what about them Northwest garage? 100£ cheaper than birchdown, although my car does sound like a deisel and i get about 28 mpg if im trying hard so sounds like id need a dephraser as well ! :mad::mad: think im going to have sell it :(

LOL.

Do you wonder why no one recommends them?