ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam scoring

hardy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Mk1 Track Proj
Took the cam cover off while replacing the cam seals noticing score marks on the cam journal and the holder.
The score mark can be felt with a finger nail.

Would this be able to be machined out or am I looking at a new head and exhaust cam?

IMG00069-20110116-0945.jpgIMG00070-20110116-0945.jpgIMG00068-20110116-0945.jpg

Looks like the curse of the Mk1 172 strikes again...

Cheers Josh

Renaultsport Clio 172
I changed my cams about 10 months ago, and I could notice a few marks like yours on mine as well, couldnt feel them with my finger tips, but could with nails.

I don't think you need to replace, unless you are too picky and can spare a head/cams cheaply. Did it made odd noises before taking apart?

Mine did a very tiny tapping noise, which was gone with new cams (uprated ones), I think this has to do with oil used (not the right grade) and long oil changes.

Ph1
Not sure about the cam but iv got a spare head with similer groove markings in the journal and took it to a machine shop said they can be sorted no probs.

Best bet is to take the head to a machine shop and see what they say

330i. E30 Touring.
Failing that, I've got a Ph1 172 head in good nick that i don't want much for.

It's got valves hanging out of the arse of it, though.

Whilst not ideal you've got a shed load of cam bearing left so if you carefully flat back any material which is proud of the bearing face you should be fine.

ITB'd MK1
yeah, if it's just the damage you've shown then i'd use some fine wet and dry with a little oil to polish that back very slightly

hardy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Mk1 Track Proj
Failing that, I've got a Ph1 172 head in good nick that i don't want much for.

It's got valves hanging out of the arse of it, though.

Just out of interest how much would you want for it?

yeah, if it's just the damage you've shown then i'd use some fine wet and dry with a little oil to polish that back very slightly

Yeah its only the first journal after the major cam pulley one.

I'll double check if there is any debris in there.

Cheers guys

182 trackday racer
Mine was just the same, polished them just to take the rough edges away with 800+1200 paper and pot it back together again. Wonder if this has anything to do with the rather rough maching of the top (read sharp edges / lack of deburring). Easy for some particle to break loose and follow the cam around. In my care it seems they followed their way down to the 3rd crank bearing that had some marks as well.