ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt change after 16000 miles?

172 Cup
So I'm looking to buy a second 172 Cup, and went to see another one last week.

All looked good, except I noticed it had a cambelt change at only 16000 miles. Seems a bit low?

I'm not the most clued-up person when it comes to cambelts, but thought a cambelt change would be needed at about 45-65000 mile range?

Anyone heard of one getting changed so early?

172 Cup
Cool, thanks.

Just wanted to check it needed doing. Didn't realise the age was as important as the miles if it hadn't really been driven much.

Looks like I'll be making a purchase :D

MK1 Clio 1.8 16v
As the belt is under tension it becomes weaker over time, also it can perish over time, this is why it was based on age and not mileage.
Always best to be safe rather than sorry. :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cool, thanks.

Just wanted to check it needed doing. Didn't realise the age was as important as the miles if it hadn't really been driven much.

Looks like I'll be making a purchase :D

Make sure you budget to get it changed again if not done already...it's due within 12 months so would be worth getting it done straight away for peace of mind.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'd say the car seems to be a good buy on the surface though, anyone that changes a cambelt at 16k must actually be a half intelligent human being, a good thing for a previous owner I think you'll agree.

172cup
So I'm looking to buy a second 172 Cup, and went to see another one last week.

All looked good, except I noticed it had a cambelt change at only 16000 miles. Seems a bit low?

I'm not the most clued-up person when it comes to cambelts, but thought a cambelt change would be needed at about 45-65000 mile range?

Anyone heard of one getting changed so early?

yep mine had it done at 17000, it was almost 5 years old.

172 Cup
Make sure you budget to get it changed again if not done already...it's due within 12 months so would be worth getting it done straight away for peace of mind.

Good point! I hadn't thought of that...

I'd say the car seems to be a good buy on the surface though, anyone that changes a cambelt at 16k must actually be a half intelligent human being, a good thing for a previous owner I think you'll agree.

Very true! The car looks great overall and drives much better than my old one! It's completely standard too so it's like a lovely blank canvas :D