ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt change

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
ok, getting my cylinder head back on monday, and i'm fitting a new belt. This is my first time fitting a belt, but i'm feeling fairly confident.

What I want to know is, am i right in saying its two turns of the crackshaft for one turn of the camshaft?

If so, is it just a case of bringing cylinder 1 to TDC, lining up the crankshaft sprocket with the mark, lining the camshaft sprocket up, lining the belt up with both marks, tension it, then off i go? (after refitting drivebelt pulley and belt obviously).

The problem is, will cylinder 1 not be at full height twice per turn of the crankshaft, or am i talking s**t? Thought i'd check with the haynes manual and it says to replace the sparkplug with your finger (lol), and you'll feel compression as it reaches TDC - is this what i should do?

I appreciate I must sound like a right r****d - just concerned!

Also, pistons are covered in crap (well it is 6 years old), is it worth cleaning off (didnt seem easy to clean off, was more like a solidified film), and if so what should i clean it with?

Engine is a D7F (1.2 8v). Might as well use my timing belt snapping to learn a bit more about my engine!