ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt Picture

Black 200
Hi there I have my newly purchased Clio 200 booked in for it's cambelt and water pump etc very soon and it will go in regardless of replies to this thread.

My question is though what to people think of the look of the belt condition? I took a chance and bought it cheap as it has no service history so it is my new project. Previously owned my a RenaultSport forum member.

What do people think the belt looks like? Letters still on it, will be getting a fresh one regardless as I wouldn't take the risk but just wondering any thoughts as I'm driving it like that for a few days more
b2658b6c2bc39277d7d75d82ea924a32.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Black 200
Thanks guys great to be back on the forum cheers for the input

Its the underside of the belt which will tell you more, has it any teeth missing, have the teeth worn down, its there cracking etc.

340i
pointless thread is pointless.
Impossible to tell without stripping down the timing cover and inspecting the belt, tensioner and idler condition.

If in doubt, don't risk driving it...

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
If you post this in the correct section of the forum you may get a more educated answer.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for that. Just wanted any opinions really. It's not cracked and teeth look intact from what I can see runs absolutely beautifully

No problem mate. Tbh, it's the idler rollers that will fail before the belt snaps. Belt failures are a thing of yesteryear in terms of snapping, it's always something else that causes them to snap.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If in any doubt, get it replaced. If it's been done on the cheap by someone with no idea, there's almost definitely some lost horsepower to be found!!

Whereabouts are you in the world?

Black 200
Yes good news just heard back from my very busy mechanic who should be doing it next Wednesday. I'm in West Sussex quite near Brighton

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
This will snap somewhere between the next time you start the car or 20 years.