ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt? Piston's? fault...

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
A Strange fault we cant find ......

Driving round a roundabout after work going to pick a mate up as he was stuck so i went on the felinheli bypass and there was a noise. The noise sounded like a bag had gone stuck underneath the car, pulled in and checked nothing there. So i carried on then came a roundabout and up a dual lane road was doing about 40mph as i was trying to save fuel, then on passing a car in the 2nd lane the car started to lose power which i then had to change down gear to try and catch the revs but on 2nd gear it cut out completely.

Now just before it cut out i clearly remember seeing something fly off on the front driver side and into the road, by then the police came as it was the busiest time of day to give me some protection, and asked whats up, i explained and whilst i waited for the recovery truck i had a look around trying to see whats fallen off. walked up and down the 400meter stretched looked into the grass etc but couldnt see nothing,

Car is home now after a £120 payout :dead:, and i got working on it straight away..

Took a look at the cambelt and its all intact, tried to fire it up see if any bits fly out etc but nothing, so i checked down the spark plugs after removing them, cant see s**t down there so fitted them bach, cleaned the Tdc sensor still nothing.

All these have been done ....

- Cambelt kit changed ~1k ago,
- Tdc Sensor new in Feb
- Spark Plugs new in feb
- Magnecor leads fitted in Feb
- Coilpack new in feb

Help, :(

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Put £15 in last night and only gone from home to work = 4 miles, then from work to were i broke down 2.5miles so i doubt its fuel,

urm havnt actually tried the fuel pump prime but then again i don't always hear it,

Clio 172mk2
only really that and check spark plugs are fireing. which i can think of checking

is there any smell of petrol once you`ve tried starting a few time?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
funny you should mention the smell of petrol, over the past week i have been smelling fuel when starting the car, (have a decat) but it never made it before tho,

Clio 172mk2
erm , fuel leak maybe then. wouldnt have thought you`d get any petrol smell due to decat,

try a can full see if it helps, cant loose owt if it isnt that (money wise)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Il check the fuel lines tomorrow, never had a issue with them tbh, but it wont hurt to check them, il report back in the morning,

Throttle body problems? Make sure it's nice and clean and not sticking etc? Stab in the dark but it's worth a try when it's free

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Throttle body problems? Make sure it's nice and clean and not sticking etc? Stab in the dark but it's worth a try when it's free

How would this affect it thought? one minute it was fine then about 10min driving it happend, im just clueless at the moment,

@ Danny,

It turn's over as usually, cambelt does turn as iv got the cover off,

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Yee, it was empty last night, broken down as i was pulling in to my parking space (starter motor is fucked so i dont go to petrol station's at the mo lol, long story) so i had 3 jerry cans filled and into the car, it went to the 4th notch, so had about £22ish worth of fuel in.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
starter motor is f**ked in a way, when you try and start it, it whines, but after a few attempts it fires, but after the car cut out, the starter just works straight away now :S, (i dont have a heatshield on the starter, which is why my starter is f**ked, got a new starter ready to go on)

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Lol sorry i meant had the engine replaced when it was just a blocked cat the whole time?

A.J

F360 BCGT 182
starter motor is f**ked in a way, when you try and start it, it whines, but after a few attempts it fires, but after the car cut out, the starter just works straight away now :S, (i dont have a heatshield on the starter, which is why my starter is f**ked, got a new starter ready to go on)

Damaged fly wheel? Or damaged cog on the starter motor?

Last edited:
  Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
damaged cog i think, il find out tomorrow, as the car aint moving now till its sorted, but sometimes it will start straight away, it sounds like the starter is sticking really bad,

ITB'd MK1
everything you've said points to the cambelt (or a pulley) slipping, whether it be by something hitting the aux belt area, or just going on it's own. I think that's what you need to get checked

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Update:

Been working on the car since dinner time and just got it, i removed alot of stuff, i even changed my starter whilst i was at it, i cleaned everything up aswell.

I did noticed when i was cleaning the TB that inside the inlet manifold there was alot of oil, so i cleaned all that up. fitted my spare coilpack just to see if it was the old coilpack and the car fired up :D

Car does seem to mis-fire i would say, as when you look from the exhaust area its puffing like mad, so not sure what is wrong there,

I did fine this though:

642b20af.jpg

Is there a hole suppose to be there? i mean its rough so clearly not machined,

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Cool,

Whats been buggin me is that the fact oil has appeared in the inlet manifold, surely oil shouldnt be goin up there or it could cause blockages etc,

also car has more exhaust fumes coming out the exhaust now, going for a first run today see what happens, have a mate on standby if i break down tho

M

mini-valver

Oil is breathed into the inlet manifold, nothing to worry about.

More exhaust gas though.....Is it just white smoke, blue smoke , what?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Well it happend again today,

was on the way back home from the gym with my mate and i was overtaking after a roundabout so was doing approx 50 and a large bang happend and felt like the whole exhaust had fallen off, so i was now stuck in the 2nd lane, pushed it into this entrance to a old factory and tried to start, nothing, tried again and it fired up.

But down the road about 3miles after this happend i smell burning, i pulled in straight away open the bonnet and have a big bottle of water ready, but theres no fire/smoke :s, so im starting to think this is a electrical fault. Because also my hazards come on automatically yet the button isnt connected as its faulty :s,

Could it be a Map sensor like Jonny mentioned?