ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt slipping a tooth, likely damage?

Clio 182 FF
I have recently bought a clio 172 that is misfiring and cutting out. Obviously it could be a number of things but I took the top mount off and the cambelt appears to be very slack as such I suspect it has slipped a tooth on the cambelt and in turn thrown the timing out.

If I am right, what is the likely damage it could of caused? are we taking bent valves?

Clio 182 FF
Is it worth doing a compression test? would that reveal if it has bent any valves?

Clio 172 cup
I have just bought a 182 that has slipped a couple of teeth too! Would be interested to know how you get on ;) I'm thinking about just re-timing it when I get time then see how it runs

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I'd personally get the timing tools out to see how far out it is, that'll tell you a lot. If it is just out by one tooth, time it correctly and see how it runs. If it's all good slap a new belt kit on it.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i'd do the above, set the timing right if you suspect its out before you do anything else. do not comp test it with a loose belt, don't even turn it over with a loose belt. get that sorted then investigate the compression

Clio 182 FF
Thanks for the advice. I don't have the tools to check/adjust the timing, I will just source another engine it will be easier and sell the engine on for spares. I'm sure it would be of use to someone.

FF Clio 182
I am just curious, but how do they manage to slip a tooth. I know what actually happens it's just more the fact of how does it happen? Is it due to cambelt not being set and the right tension or something ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I am just curious, but how do they manage to slip a tooth. I know what actually happens it's just more the fact of how does it happen? Is it due to cambelt not being set and the right tension or something ?

Yes, incorrect tension is the issue normally, although sometimes people say "slipped a tooth" and its actually that the pulley has slipped rather than the belt (they arent keyed)