ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt Tool Sharing Scheme

Black 172
I'm soon to be a 172 owner, and I've learnt how expensive it is to have the cambelt changed properly. I've done a couple of cambelts before on other cars and intend to have a go myself when the time comes. I know from a search that there's loads of people in the same boat who have had to buy or rent the correct timing tools themselves.

I'm just wondering if there's any interest in a cambelt tool sharing scheme. I'd use it myself if there was one. It would work like this:

1. A trusted user (Cliosport moderator / admin) acquires the tools.

2. Someone comes along who needs the tools.
--- He would need to be a paid up member with a minimum of 50 posts.

3. He sends the full cost of the tools via bank transfer (this cannot be reversed).

4. On receiving the money in his bank account, the moderator sends the tools via recorded delivery.

Now two things can happen:

If the person does not return the tools on time and in good condition, he has simply bought the tools, and the moderator will buy some more for the scheme with his money.

If the person does return the tools on time, he will be refunded his money, less a fee (perhaps £12), of which £2 covers the postage, and £10 goes towards the initial cost of the tools.

Once enough people have rented the tools, and their £10's have covered the initial cost of the tools, then each £10 becomes profit to the forum, so as well as being helpful to members, it can actually raise money.

I've happily paid my £12 to become a full member here, and I'd happily pay another £12 to rent the cambelt tools.

So what do you think? Good idea or should I keep my mouth shut? :D
If there's enough interest I think it could work well.

I apologise if this has been suggested before; I couldn't see any obvious discussion of it in a search and spent about 30mins reading old threads.
Also sorry if this is in the wrong place... I put it here because most previous threads regarding 'cambelt' were here but in hindsight it's not really to do with mechanical stuff. :eek:

172, Tiguan
It's a great idea - I'm actually renting the tools off a member at the moment as couldn't face buying them.

I'm just wondering if it is a bit of a logistical nightmare tbh.

I just put up a wanted post on the forum and a local member got in touch. That might be easier for you as well?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I've considered this on a number of occasions tbh, but my main concern was that nobody would pay the full price of the tools to borrow them, even if they will get a refund upon return. Its simply too much wonga i reckon.

In addition, as the owner of the tools, i would be concerned about how long people would be 'borrowing' them for, as too long and you would lose custom from other interested parties. Arranging couriers is no problem, DHL is less than a tenner each way.

172, Tiguan
We'd considered buying a set between 5 of us all local in the south east. £30 each would buy a full set and as we all know each other it wouldn't be a problem.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A good idea but wouldn't work. What happens when say the camshaft sprocket tool gets damaged or the crankshaft lock pin gets bent but isn't found until the someone else recieves it (and potentially uses it) in a damaged state?

This is why I don't lend my tools to people - they cost me enough hence I look after and respect them. Besides, a DIY set is going ot come in just over £100 - buy it, use it, sell it on.

Black 172
A similar scheme (but much less secure - it works on trust) works well on vegetableoildiesel forums (link), for the Bosche fuel injection pump tools. It proves this kind of thing can work!

I personally wouldn't have a problem shelling out the full cost of the tools to a trusted moderator or admin. After all, I'd have to pay the full cost of the tools if I wanted to buy them for myself anyway? Plus, as the scheme would be run by forum staff, I know my money's safe and that I'll get it back, less the fee, provided I do my part.

For the rental period, I was thinking a member would be encouraged to return the tools in a week, but there would be a grace of another 7 days before the member lost his money and gets told to keep the tools. Seems reasonable?

I agree with jon_r though. Whilst I don't think it would be that hard to manage this, definitely not a nightmare, it does require some management, a mod or admin would have to volunteer some of his or her time to do this, in order to provide this helpful scheme and to bring in more money to the forum. I feel a bit like I'm pitching to Dragons Den here :)

Black 172
A good idea but wouldn't work. What happens when say the camshaft sprocket tool gets damaged or the crankshaft lock pin gets bent but isn't found until the someone else recieves it (and potentially uses it) in a damaged state?
The moderator or admin would look over the tool before sending it out and look over it again upon its return (before refunding the money).
The tool will eventually wear out but it should be good for hundreds of uses before that happens, and there's £10 profit per rental (or more if the fee was upped to £15 or £20), so it won't be long before the forum's in profit and has enough money to buy a new set for when the old set wears out.

This is why I don't lend my tools to people - they cost me enough hence I look after and respect them. Besides, a DIY set is going ot come in just over £100 - buy it, use it, sell it on.
Could do, but the forum makes no profit from that. It's more hassle to the member to find the right tools from the right supplier, and he would probably end up losing much more than £12 after selling it on!

Monaco Clio 172
im waiting for my tools off renault and once ive used them i will just sell them on for a bout £100 plus postage so if someone want to buy a set to start a rental scheme let me know. Id rather someone on here have them

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

This! It doesn't take alot to damge the tools, even more so if this is your first go at the job!

Lionel Richie
Member borrows tools
Member fits cambelt
Member cambelt fails
Member blames tools
Member takes legal action against CS

bit far fetched, but another reason why it won't happen

RS 182 CUP
cs cambelt sharing scheme= less business for cs traders. so non of them are going to back it

172, Tiguan
I think from a club point of view, sadly we are out. As Fred says, the implications of a tool failing or damage caused to man/machine using tools belonging to the club is a minefield. The admin aspect of it all would probably be manageable, but I don't think we can take the risk.

As before though, I'm all for a local group buying a set between them and saving themselves some money.

You'd have to be a proper idiot to damage them though tbh, especially having seen and used them.

Thanks OP for the original post, its a fine idea and infact echos something a few of us have discussed in the past, just I don't think it's a goer officially sadly.

172, Tiguan
You are right tbh, you will always sell them on on the forum, people are always after them.

Lionel Richie
you forget jon the pulley tool does wear, so that would need to be taken into account, plus i replace the crank pin after every 20 cars (you don't have to)

id buy the tool when someone has finished with it and anyone local to me is free to borrow it as tbh,,, ill only use it once but i work as a partsman and the amount of cowboys in this business is PROPER worrying and i would never trust anyone to work on my car unless im there helping ( passing the spanners)

i need to get mine done soon and the loaning idea is a great one and tbh 25 to 35 quid a pop for the tools people would pay im sure but can anyone actually be arsed to do it is another thing