ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam's cover on rockercover,

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
You know those 2 black circle covers that are on the right hand side of the rockercover, Can you take them off to see if the timing is correct?

reason beeing my car is missfiring, and hard to get the power down, iv checked ht leads/plugs/coilpack etc and it still does it, changed the pre cat lambda and still does it, so now im wondering if my engine might have skipped a tooth or something,

im all out of ideas here,

Ta

Dodgy one
Have you had it on a diagnostics machine? It would show on there if the timing was out.

You can take them off but need to fit new ones once the're removed

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Nah, trying to figure it out myself tbh, but cant seem to diagnose it, thats why i was wondering if my timing has jumped and causing the problem,

Why do you have to fit new ones?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Depend how cleanly you take them out maybe?

Normally you have to tap the middle to deform them i think?

Oh, didnt know that, cant remember Ryan tapping my old ones out when doing the cambelt change though,

But what if you take it to a garage and they just need to check it? they would have to order the cambelt kit again just to get the parts,

Dodgy one
You can buy the camps seperatly.

I would reuse them personally, for the sake of about £14 i think they are?

Ye il try and re-use them if they crack il just silicone them till i get new ones,

Its only £14!!
rolleyes.gif
infact not even that, and then to risk losing oil on a journey where your a way away from home

Tried pulling a lead off at a time to see which cylinders not firing? I doubt the timings out personally.

I reckon its down to a lead, Coilpack or a plug

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
rolleyes.gif

Tried pulling a lead off at a time to see which cylinders not firing? I doubt the timings out personally.

I reckon its down to a lead, Coilpack or a plug

Il try that, wont i get a shock though, i know its only 12v but the power from the coil pack is much more though ye

Dodgy one
Il try that, wont i get a shock though, i know its only 12v but the power from the coil pack is much more though ye

As long as you dont touch the car you'l be fine, It kicks though when it gets you :cool:

You can get a proper tester but its useless on these engines as the inlet goes over the top of the plugs

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
As long as you dont touch the car you'l be fine, It kicks though when it gets you :cool:

You can get a proper tester but its useless on these engines as the inlet goes over the top of the plugs

A Kick, is it a good kick or a fuckin painfull one? haha, il wear some gloves shouldnt get a shock then,

ITB'd MK1
Have you had it on a diagnostics machine? It would show on there if the timing was out.

NO

You can take them off but need to fit new ones once the're removed

You can prize them out carefully and do minimal damage so they can have a light smear of silicon applied and make a good seal again. New is preferable, re-sealing is acceptable as long as it doesn't leak. I think i spotted some caps on ebay for £4 the other day.

With regard to your issue...If you dont know the above, I'd suggest you wouldn't know what you're looking for to check the timing anyway. Get Birchdown to check it for you, I think they're your closest

They **should** be replaced, but can be reused if you are careful - mine have been three or four times now and never had a single problem. They are about £12-14 as said, but if you remove them a few times it soon adds up.

I usually use something blunt (small drive socket extension) and gently tap one side of the cap with it, the opposite side will pop out and then you can get it out with ease - if you go near it with screwdrivers etc you will more than likely f*ck them up.

Dont forget you need the timing tools to check the timing if you do take the caps out, you cant really tell by 'looking' at the cams

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
What i had in mind was:

turning the engine by hand and see if the cams are: _ _ equal, if they were then i would know they are not out, so its just to save some time and tick another off my list tbh,

il try what you suggest jord to remove the covers, if i crack them then il get new ones,

You need the horseshoe tool for the end of the cams and a crank locking pin to check it properly...

Turn the engine over by hand, pop the pin in the front when you are at TDC so the crank is locked - then check the horseshoe tool fits into the end of the cams perfectly...

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Do i really need to do that just to check that they line up jord? im not planning on doing a cambelt change or anything as i had it done 1k ago, just want to double check they are lined up, i was going to use a ruler to see if they were straight :eek:

No because you need to know that the bottom end is locked at TDC too, hence the timing pin into the crank. Ruler is no good as it wont fit perfectly into the cams, not to mention they are sunk into the recess in the head...

Bottom End @ TDC + Timing Tool Fits into Cams = Engine is in time.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Ah stuff it then, il give that one a miss, though it would have been much simpler but its not, il just try other stuff to find this problem then,

Tried a completely different set of leads and coilpack? Ive seen it on someones car before where it had similar problems and it was the coilpack giving an intermittent fault/missfire

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Tried a completely different set of leads and coilpack? Ive seen it on someones car before where it had similar problems and it was the coilpack giving an intermittent fault/missfire

Ye got 2 coilpacks been using my old one for about a week and still same problem, changed the leads to another set and still, spark plugs are the only ones left to check, but since their not that old and car hasnt been used for that long, they shouldnt be the problem, but il check them with my spare's though,

Coupe/Defender V8
I doubt it would be the timing if it's an intermittent light misfire surely? More likely to be an electrical fault