ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I afford the 172 ?

Shed.
I wouldnt do it on that income. That would be a hell of a mill stone around your neck.

Wait a couple of years for the insurance to go down or flogg the valver for a 1.2 for 6 months and put what ever you save into the bank to get your savings up.

Do you live at home? If you do I'm guessing you'll want to get off soon and a 172 on what you earn wouldnt allow you to save etc for a deposit.

got atleast 4 more years at home. Dont wanna piss off just yet as id rarther bum off my parents lol.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Ive found that £35.00 of petrol give me about 280 miles. and the avg reno service cost for me has been abou £400. depending on its age and millage i'd get it done at a indi. i did this last time and it was £150 with a new set of pads up front. disc's need replacing every 15K i've found its at about £200 at an indi garage. the 72 K cam & aux belt change can be done by a GOOD indi for about £450 ish and reno charge about £700.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ok so everyone has said no dont do it pretty much but i get the sence that your going to do it anyway, just dont come crying back when something happens and you cant afford it.

Good luck though, they are great BUT the novelty does ware off after a while and your stuck with a damm expensive car to keep on the rd. and youll want to start modding

Black 172
Your not gonna have much money for petrol if you decide to go to a meet or something, your restricting yourself quite a bit. I have a 172 ive had it for two years i usually put £30 a week in my car this depends what i do at the weekend though. I can put thirty quid in on sat and sunday if i am out and about ! I dont go to Renault for my services and parts etc as i am fortunate enough for my brother/dad to have a garage of there own. Wait until you have a full time job and then get one, dont rush in to it you will regret it, i bought mine off my boss ( i got it cheap ) i had a 1.2 at the time. The 172 was in mint condition and i couldnt say no after driving it, so i bought it and between paying for the 172 and the up keep of my horse i have been skint every since !!

Shed.
ok so everyone has said no dont do it pretty much but i get the sence that your going to do it anyway, just dont come crying back when something happens and you cant afford it.

Good luck though, they are great BUT the novelty does ware off after a while and your stuck with a damm expensive car to keep on the rd. and youll want to start modding

Yea. ill wait for a while then. Your are right lol. and i know it. i COULD get one but im not sure i really really want to skint myself that much. Ill think about it. Hard.

Shed.
Well i was returning quotes again, i think as a 19 year old with 1 years ncb im gunna be looking at 2.5k for the insurance. Ive not been put off completely, however, im not willing to shell out £250 a month just so i can drive around in it. Ill wait, perhaps untill ive saved enough for the car AND the insurance, or perhaps when im 20. Allthough even then its still gunna cost me a f**king arm and an arsehole.

For my 1.2 when im 20 with 2 yrs ncb i can get it for £820 (shoop da whoop) might go on my mothers after all and just front like i allways do.

Anyways, point is, im sticking with my formula 1.2 car for a lot longer. Your right though, a car isnt worth skinting me that much.

VW Golf TDI
I had a 172 when I was 19, I had a full time job, but I learnt that it took a lot of money, eg exhaust falling off in the middle of Sheffield, New Brakes.

Then I slid into the back of someone causing my xenon to crack, That was a nice £300 pound bill for the light and the bumper needed fixing too !!!

but after all sed and done u know its worth it lol!!!
rights.gif

Shed.
Good move....you'd be a moron to pay £2500 for insurance

true. £1900 (with no further questions) if i wanna put dearest mother as the main driver.

BUT i shall wait. Gunna save like f**k for the next year and a bit. Also by the end of today ill have made my mind up on whether i wanna get one or not.

....but im gunna wait.

Shed.
I had a 172 when I was 19, I had a full time job, but I learnt that it took a lot of money, eg exhaust falling off in the middle of Sheffield, New Brakes.

Then I slid into the back of someone causing my xenon to crack, That was a nice £300 pound bill for the light and the bumper needed fixing too !!!

but after all sed and done u know its worth it lol!!!
rights.gif

what full time job was it then ? Surely £700 a month isnt gunna get you by on a clio sport .......

Iceberg 172
I think you've made your decision anyway and you just want people to say 'do it'.

If you want to spend all your earnings on your car then you can I'm pretty sure you can afford it.

Shed.
I think you've made your decision anyway and you just want people to say 'do it'.

If you want to spend all your earnings on your car then you can I'm pretty sure you can afford it.

believe me i dont. its just nice to hear that its not a complete waste of money.

point is im gunna wait. regardless of people saying lol im 19 and have a 172 and i pay 3000 bucks for the insurance. and its worth every penny aside fromt he fact im now gunna be in £15 grands worth of debt. etc etc

I plan on going to uni. should i get a 172 ? because itll be like 3 years untill i ever get to get one.

VW Golf TDI
My full time job was a transport Controller, I didnt say £700 pound anywhere in my coments but here is the bills monthly, But I was on good money at the time, I used to spend alot of money on going out etc, clothes

£250 month loan
£80 insurance < Somehow my insurance was only £1000
£120 petrol < 50 miles to and from work per day
Thats just to own the car

Then u got tax etc, tyres and all that
Im sure you will be fine!!!

Shed.
My full time job was a transport Controller, I didnt say £700 pound anywhere in my coments but here is the bills monthly, But I was on good money at the time, I used to spend alot of money on going out etc, clothes

£250 month loan
£80 insurance < Somehow my insurance was only £1000
£120 petrol < 50 miles to and from work per day
Thats just to own the car

Then u got tax etc, tyres and all that
Im sure you will be fine!!!

£700 is about minimum wage. srry, i wasnt implying anything, its just the minimum amount you could have earned.

Ill wait and look into it though when im a bit older.

VW Golf TDI
hmmmm, my mate has a Audi tt he is only on 12k a year, you will be fine, if u buy one and cant afford it you will just have to sell it.

VW Golf TDI
nah, he wanted something better built that his old corrado as it was falling apart, so he went for a TT which is almost the same car, Its mad

R26r R26
Buy a PH1 and you wont worry about the running costs.I have had mine 3 years and it has never let me down.I thought about getting rid of it the other week and buying a scooby(I know its a lot better car)but I just cant part with the Clio.Awesome car for what it costs to run.

if your insurance is £1700 then it will not be £170x10 months.

you will pay interest for paying monthly, usually 10%

Shed.
Buy a PH1 and you wont worry about the running costs.I have had mine 3 years and it has never let me down.I thought about getting rid of it the other week and buying a scooby(I know its a lot better car)but I just cant part with the Clio.Awesome car for what it costs to run.

i just cant mate. the interior isnt the same. PH1 is a good car and all, but i just dont like it.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
Firstly, are you referring to your 1.2 16v as a "valver"?

Next, are you expecting to use every penny on running this Clio? That's mad. Everyday I have little expenses. Are you saying you can go forever without buying a CD or popping into a sandwich shop if you're starving?

Also, your insurance quotes are bad: £800 for a 1.2 at 20 with 2NCB is poor.

I can appreciate that you want a better car. Compromise with something like a 106 GTi or Rallye?

Shed.

Next, are you expecting to use every penny on running this Clio? That's mad. Everyday I have little expenses. Are you saying you can go forever without buying a CD or popping into a sandwich shop if you're starving?

I can appreciate that you want a better car. Compromise with something like a 106 GTi or Rallye?

No. Im expecting to use a LOT, but not everyhting, i shouldnt get into debt thats all.( touch wood) i am allready goin forever w/o buying a cd or buying a sandwich. I eat all my s**t from home, i thikn in the past 4 weeks ive spent about £5 on food, everything else gets raided from the cupboards at home.

im know its totally f**king stupid but im gunna do it. i SHOULD be able to manage, but like ive said before i want a few thou in the bank as backup, after ive bought the car straight off. no loans etc etc and i might even pay for the insurance straight off to so i can save for other s**t.

Agreed, I paid around that at 19 on a 1.2 16v with 0 years no claims and alloys declared. I paid upfront though if that makes any
difference.
Insurance on an RS i ve been getting quotes of £1500 fully comp, 1yrs no claims, 2.5yrs driving experience with no points or accidents, aged 20.

i just cant mate. the interior isnt the same. PH1 is a good car and all, but i just dont like it.

I didn't like them until I drove one, the original and best.

clio 16v
keep the valver...don't drive like a tw*t gain your no claims then have your fun with a 172 in a few years....or deppending how things progress maybe a 197 trophy....or if renault get there balls out n push there limits....a new V6;)
concentrait on your education.....that will pay for your road fun if you do well...
trust me.....spending your education time worrying about if u can afford things or not doesn't give you a good start in life...

that the best advice I've seen on the thread! concentrate on ur education not cars then u can worry about something quiker when ur earning more. I failed uni the first time round coz I was basically working full time to run the 1.9 205 gti I had at the time. At ur stage in life it's really not worth it. I mean I had to work full time for two years to clear the debt the 205 left me with.fair enuf im back at uni and graduate next year by which time I'll be 26. If I hadnt bought that 205 I would have graduated at 22. Biggest mistake I ever made.

M2 Competition
Dont do it mate, from experience, dont do it.

Save up for a year or two, get a faster car when you're 21, and have some money behind you. From looking at your cashflow, you wont be able to afford it.

Shed.
Dont do it mate, from experience, dont do it.

Save up for a year or two, get a faster car when you're 21, and have some money behind you. From looking at your cashflow, you wont be able to afford it.

your right, but im gunna do it anyways, im gunna make sure i can buy the car and

the insurance - nb: if i dont and pay this over a period of time, ill make sure ive got a few thou in the bank as a fall back.

in one full whack.

If it ferucks me but i can still pay for it then oh well, if i cant pay for it, then ill have to sell it. simple as that. We shall see how things go. Your probably right, but im going to ignore your advice which will save me a lot of grief, and get one anyways.

like i said, ill sell it if i find i cant payfor it.

Mini Cooper S sport

I think a few people on here aren't sure what a valver actually is..!

You've made your mind up Michael, and you'll love it. As you say, you can sell it if it gets too expensive which may mean you'll have learned a pricey lesson but ah well, you're only young once.

I made the mistake of buying a new car once when I should have put it towards a house - I'd probably be in a 4-bed detatched now instead of a 3-bed semi but never mind.

Shed.

I think a few people on here aren't sure what a valver actually is..!

You've made your mind up Michael, and you'll love it. As you say, you can sell it if it gets too expensive which may mean you'll have learned a pricey lesson but ah well, you're only young once.

I made the mistake of buying a new car once when I should have put it towards a house - I'd probably be in a 4-bed detatched now instead of a 3-bed semi but never mind.

3rd party fire n theft, mothers insurance, £1400.

Yeah, ill live and learn, itll prolly be a mistake, but meh, ill have to see how s**t goes.

I still say tpft on your own policy is better than being on Mummy and Daddys policy IMO.

Eventually you will build up NCB and things will make much more sense.

Shed.
out of interest, im paying £490 a year for my insurance, which covers 100 miles a week (do bt 250 lol) and my pop is the main driver (he used to be in all honesty).

Im buliding up no claims bonus'zzz, but how much.

And also, will i not build ncb's up when mummy is the main driver, or does it depend on the policy, and also will they be as much ? i mean when you apply for insurance online, it just says how long have you been driving and how many yrs ncb do you have....

Anyways i think in all honesty ill save up till december/ begining of next year and ill see how much ive got. And have a good think about whether i want to be skint for the next year or so of my life.

--BTW, when i go to uni, the parents will be paying for the fees and also i will be at home, probably not paying much board. I will be keeping my part time job as a lot of people i work with in morrisons are at hull uni and manage to work there too, about as much as i do now (24 hrs a week ish.) I WILL NOT be moving out, and will not move out till ive got a job and im setteld into the job.

106 gti at the mo
drop a 172 engine in your valver thers a few cheep one on ebay u could have a street sleeper lol