ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I make my ph2 1.2 16v clio more fun?

2004 1.2l 16v clio
So yea I have a 1. 2 16v clio and I want to make it more fun. I know most of you will say oh just get a 172 the 1.2 istn worth the money and time. But I want a 1.2 to be different (and there quite cheap to run) . But I'm not planning to do anything crazy that would cost me a lot of money and effect reliability. So I was just wondering what would I need to do to get the engine to 110hp max that wouldn't cost me a fortune and it wouldstill be reliable.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Put some race brake pads in it. Change the brake fluid for some real good stuff.. get a old broom handle ,measure and cut it so it wedges your accelerator pedal on fully down.. That way it just leaves you with the brake pedal and clutch pedal to deal with and you can pretty much go flat out everywhere..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
@Feko123 . According to your profile you're only 17 years old , yeah ?
Enjoy your 1.2 for what it is , get some miles and driving experience under your belt. Learn to walk before you can run.

I would imagine you're already paying a small fortune for car insurance? Any mods would have to be declared which will probably increase your insurance.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I had a 1.2 16v Clio for a few years. In that time I had a stealth exhaust system, lowered it, fitted 172 alloys and interior...... enjoy it and learn to drive in it and save up for a 172/182.

2004 1.2l 16v clio
@Feko123 . According to your profile you're only 17 years old , yeah ?
Enjoy your 1.2 for what it is , get some miles and driving experience under your belt. Learn to walk before you can run.

I would imagine you're already paying a small fortune for car insurance? Any mods would have to be declared which will probably increase your insurance.
OH I'm enjoying it all right😂feel in love with these things when I beat a 1.9l tdi seat Leon (let's say it was at a track😉) but yea ur right I still need quite some experience but I can't look at it being stock lol. So I was thinking dropping it for 60mm maybe changing brakes and making it a bit lighter(not that it's gonna help much but hey "racecar" 🤷‍♂️😅) and as for the engine I really want it to have at least 100hp so it would have that little extra power and I think It would make for a fun low insurance low fuel consumption car. Idk I just really fell in love with these 1.2 clios and I would actually prefer it over the 172.why u might ask? Well I don't know myself I just love em😂and I don't think it would increase my insurance by a lot because I wouldn't really mod it that much.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Your insurance will sky rocket by adding mods mate

I'm being serious, just save your money and get something better. I spent far too much money on my old dCi making it a full 172 rep etc. I might have well just saved my money and bought the real thing

Obviously I was joking. Ive had a 1.2 and 1.6 mk2 and like you loved them at the time, but the 1*2 has that character you might feel but is just faster and more capable in every way

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
It would cost a lot of money to get to 100bhp, so I probably wouldn't bother.

I am not against modifying whatever you have though. If you like the car and can afford it, do what makes you happy. There are a few small-engined cars (including Clios) floating around the club motorsport scene, doing targas, autotests, autosolos and road rallies. You can still have a lot of fun in cars like that and, as @McGherkin says, it will teach you a LOT about how to drive a car. There is a lovely 1.2 Clio in my local club, with a half cage, buckets etc. It didn't cost them a lot and they have a riot in it. If you do modify it, I would focus on suspension, tyres, brakes and weight reduction and just make sure that anything you fit is cheap-ish, or can be removed and sold on. If you buy the right bits, you could always swap them onto a 172/182 later.

If modifying the car makes you happy, go for it. Life is too short to constantly worry about whether it's worth it or not.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I had one when I was 17 about 15yrs ago, fitted a decat, exhaust, modified the airbox, custom filter, hunners of octaine booster and fancy oils and it run about 82hp, not worth chasing power with them obviously.

Sort the chassis: Suspension, brakes and tyres and get weight out it and enjoy it for what it is until you can afford something quicker.

2004 1.2l 16v clio
Ok so ig modifying the engine is pointless then. I think I'm realy just gonna do suspension and brakes and so on and then I'm just gonna make look nicer like different lights maybe a front lip and things like that

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Ok so ig modifying the engine is pointless then. I think I'm realy just gonna do suspension and brakes and so on and then I'm just gonna make look nicer like different lights maybe a front lip and things like that
Have you ever worked on the car before?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
This is the one in my local club:

Screenshot_20191206-223707~2.png
Screenshot_20191206-223719~2.png

It's a nicely prepared little car. They seem to have a lot of fun in it. Do all sorts of events in it, road rallies and such.

2014 Clio 200t edc
If your determined to do something to it, then the best thing I did was lower mine. Get some springs on it and some decent tyres and it will handle well.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Cone filter for noise
Exhaust for noise (don't get something stupid as it'll sound ridiculous, just stainless steel cat back with silencer)
Coilovers or springs for handling
Get a set of 172 headlights because they look better and have xenons
172/182 front grille because again looks better
Brakes, get some good pads and fluid in there

OEM + is the way forward.

1576160498617.png

2004 1.2l 16v clio
Cone filter for noise
Exhaust for noise (don't get something stupid as it'll sound ridiculous, just stainless steel cat back with silencer)
Coilovers or springs for handling
Get a set of 172 headlights because they look better and have xenons
172/182 front grille because again looks better
Brakes, get some good pads and fluid in there

OEM + is the way forward.

View attachment 1444413
Is this ur car? I'm really digging those wheels bro. And yea I'll put it on some 60mm springs and was thinking about putting the 172 front grill on too.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
this was mine going back 15yrs now! was a fun little car, taught me a lot about driving a car quick as everything happens a lot slower than when your in a fast car lol
Image000.jpg