ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you live without Java, Flash etc?

Fiesta ST
So much Malware comes through Java, Flash and other 3rd Party applications these days on the desktop PC.

Is it worth the aggro to not have these applications installed?

how much do you depend on these plugins?

Are developers moving away from these?

Java is used it SO SO SO many different applications. Flash is still used across many different applications and platforms, developers are trying to get away from it where applicable. However there are no other languages that can do what Flash does so well.

I don't see what the problem with them is.

Nissan 350z
So long as you allow the various Adobe applications to update i dont see why they should be a source of malware? Its no different to anything else, if you didnt run Windows Update that could become a vulnerability to your system in the same manner running a 2yr old version of most other system applications could.

HTML5 is no way near ready to take over from Flash. Its still very basic in comparison to flash. Besides, Flash is supported in ALL browsers, HTML5 doesn't have full support from browsers yet. It'll be at least 4 years before its a web standard. Even when it is, expect Flash to still be around.

Flash is not supported in all browsers, flash at the end of the day is a plug in. Code is rendered by the flash engine, and not the browser. Also is not supported in any iOS browser, where'as HTML 5 is likely to be included with the Iphone5/ios update. And technically, HTML 5 is supported in all browsers, people just need to update!

OK, what browser isn't flash support in? Yes Flash is a plug-in but Flash is on 97% of PC's. Adobe know that Flash won't live forever (on mobile devices anyway), thats why at the start of the year Adobe dropped development of Flash for mobile devices so it could concentrate on HTML5 for mobile devices. This came about because of of the Adobe vs Apple fight, and the search for better standards. Adobe have NOT dropped Flash for any other device. FYI iOS already has support for some HTML5 capabilities just like a lot of browsers.

What I meant by HTML5 not being supported in all browsers was the fact that it is still in its draft period and there are no 'standards' that all browsers are using. All the main browsers, IE7, IE8, IE9, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari have SOME HTML5 capabilities however not ALL.

You're comment regarding 'People need to update' needs to be back tracked. It is very hard for developers to cater for everyone, for christ sakes we will have to cater for the moron's that are using IE7! Building a website that works in IE7 and that has HTML5 capabilities isn't as easy as just 'updating'. I go back to what I said before about HTML5 not being a standard yet either, its still a draft. Just like CSS3, but thats a whole other pot of worms.

Flash is not supported in all browsers, flash at the end of the day is a plug in. Code is rendered by the flash engine, and not the browser. Also is not supported in any iOS browser, where'as HTML 5 is likely to be included with the Iphone5/ios update. And technically, HTML 5 is supported in all browsers, people just need to update!

You can't say it has support for all browsers if people update - the majority of people don't.

Jon.G nailed it on the head, HTML5 is far from ready for complete mainstream.

Oh and also, I work on one product which still needs to support IE6, an area where it just isn't possible for it to be updated!

You can't say it has support for all browsers if people update - the majority of people don't.

Jon.G nailed it on the head, HTML5 is far from ready for complete mainstream.

Oh and also, I work on one product which still needs to support IE6, an area where it just isn't possible for it to be updated!

Many people still do work with IE6, mainly those who work on company Intranet systems where 1000's of computers cannot simply be updated to a newer OS/Browser. Thankfully Microsoft dropped support for IE6, so we stopped developing for it as well. It would be a pain to test anyway, seen as IE9 has dev tools that only go back to IE7!