ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 1100D

Bus w**ker
550D pisses all over the 1100D. 1100D is like the more expensive adult version of this:

fisher-price-kid-tough-digital-camera-235243548.jpg

The 550D will stand you for years and help you to learn how to use a DSLR and take good shots, whilst also still being good value for money - prosumer. The 1100D will get you started and then leave you wanting...no needing to upgrade to something with a better spec in six months.

If you can afford to buy the 550D then do so, the 1100D is false economy.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the replies, the 550D is quite a fair bit out of budget. Didn't really want to spend more than £400 in all honesty! Steer clear of the 1100D then?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
General consensus is that the 1100D isn't great then, good job I logged on here haha. Shame even a refurbished 550D is out of my budget :(

Bus w**ker
Photography isn't a cheap hobby, save and buy the best you can afford to save in the long run. The lens and adaptor I want now is gonna set me back ~£2000 :(. My cars not even worth that lol.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like it's going to be the 550d then.
Does anybody no if the old slr lenses fit onto dslr's? My grandad has an old 600d and has loads of lenses he could give me?

Cupra
If they are Canon EF mount lenses then they can be used. If they are the old FD lenses, then you will need an adaptor, which is only really worth is if the lenses are very special. It will also require manual focus.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I to have just been and had a look at the 550d and I really liked the feel of it and again took some nice photo's with it. Very impressed :)

Bus w**ker
Didn't know Kerso was still trading, not seen anything of him on eBay for months. Personally I'd avoid a grey import, but the choice is yours.

If you're on a budget then you should really be looking at the 500D refurbs in the link above, not a huge amount of differences between the 550 and the 500 tbh.

(Doubt this link will work, so if not its the product comparison page from the Canon site).

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/com.../for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/

Bus w**ker
It's a good price, but just do your research on the seller first and remember that you're only getting a 90 day warranty (think Canon give 12 months but I'm not too sure, something else to check out).

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I looked into Canons' warranty and it is 12 months, and most other refurbs sellers on eBay offer a 12 month Canon warranty. So I've emailed the seller to ask why they don't offer this warranty, see what they say.

I had the same dilemma over the 1000D, ended up taking advice off here and got a second hand 450D for the same price and haven't looked back. Can't fault the camera and the only limitation is me pushing the shutter button.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Well big thanks to everyone who's helped, I won a refurbished 500d with the kit lens and 1 year warranty for £345. Needless to say I'm over the moon!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one mate.
I just need a new set of tyres then I'll be looking at getting one :)

Use that link that's on the first page and have a little bid, can't believe how cheap I've got it for. Nearly saving £200 off a brand new price. Can't wait for it to arrive, now I just need to save for a 50mm lens, tripod and filters haha.

Bus w**ker
Good price that and glad you're happy. I wouldn't be in too much of rush to buy more equipment just yet though, learn the basics of using the thing in manual and then worry about new lens, filters, flash guns etc etc...oh and debt lol.

Add the grip and second battery to your list of things to eventually buy though.