ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macro lens for Canon 1100d

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
How close are you taking shots of ?

Your lense will have a minimum focusing distance written on it .. probably something like ~1m. Go to 55mm and stand 1m back ... see what happens.

What products are you selling ? Proper macro lenses are £100s not £20 lol .. that's a screw in adaptor thing and will be next to useless if you're doing anything remotely professional ?

Proper macro photography is for things like this ..:

3597987321_a9be804819.jpg

Macro Fly And Their Friends / แมลงวัน บน จิกทะเล by AmpamukA, on Flickr

A real macro lense:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-EF-lenses/Canon-EF-100mm-f2.8-Macro-USM-Lens

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
How close are you taking shots of ?

Your lense will have a minimum focusing distance written on it .. probably something like ~1m. Go to 55mm and stand 1m back ... see what happens.

What products are you selling ? Proper macro lenses are £100s not £20 lol .. that's a screw in adaptor thing and will be next to useless if you're doing anything remotely professional ?

Proper macro photography is for things like this ..:

3597987321_a9be804819.jpg

Macro Fly And Their Friends / แมลงวัน บน จิกทะเล by AmpamukA, on Flickr

A real macro lense:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-EF-lenses/Canon-EF-100mm-f2.8-Macro-USM-Lens

Its nothing too professional. Its to take some pics of products for our website which are resized to 640 x 480.

Probably as close as 8cm from the object

Is that number on the one you posted 100mm as close as that one will focus?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Its nothing too professional. Its to take some pics of products for our website which are resized to 640 x 480.

Probably as close as 8cm from the object

Is that number on the one you posted 100mm as close as that one will focus?

No or by that logic, your 18-55 would be closer.

What are you taking pics of that you've got to be 8cm away from !? :S

If they're resized that small I bet you'd get away with a phone cam pic TBH..

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I replied a long post. My phone wouldn't post it so in short,..
Try what TEG said. If you have trouble with that, then maybe invest in a 50mm prime and crop it. If you don't like that, then try a Sigma 105mm macro. Very good lens.

Probably OTT for your needs though.

Oh and as for the link you originally posted. May as well send me the £20 so I can buy some beers. It will be better spent!

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Thanks for the advice chaps saved me wasting £20 on some more ebay crap!

No or by that logic, your 18-55 would be closer.

What are you taking pics of that you've got to be 8cm away from !? :S

If they're resized that small I bet you'd get away with a phone cam pic TBH..

Today i was taking some pics of in ear earphones and it was a pain trying to get close enough to fill the pic

I used my Iphone before but the camera seems to bring out much more detail in the pics.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Don't worry about filling the shot - use live-view (assuming the cam has it?) and then crop it on the comp. Unless you're counting hairs on the back of a greenfly's leg, I really wouldn't bother spending any money just for this.

A 100mm 'Macro' lens will be a fantastically pin-sharp piece of kit however if you decide you need to buy a new lens - but at that length, with the crop factor, it'll be nigh-on useless for just about anything bar macro or portraits.

I'll take some photos with my camera later of some headphones and see what I get... :eek:

As for iPhone vs. 15MP camera - do some homework on sensor sizes ;) you'll soon realise how much more detail you can get on something ~20mmx30mm than a phone-cam one at probably 2x3mm if you're lucky !

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Just get a proper macro lens, there’s no real replacement. Even something like a second hand Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro would do the job for what you want.

Things are getting way too technical here, the simple answer is to get a cheap second hand macro lens, such as the Sigma I mentioned.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I'd buy an extension tube set for the 18-55 mm lens. You could take closer pics with this setup and it would be a mega cheap option.