ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 70-200l or canon 70-300 usm is 4.0-5.6?

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
As above. Will the lack of IS on the l lens be a big problem? The extra 100mm would be nice for sport photography but again is the l lens worth the extra £100? Not sure which to go for...

Oil Burner
You shouldnt really miss the IS, the two stops of extra light will make up for that. The 70-200 F4 is also a much better lens than the 70-300.

Cupra
If you are using it outdoors, lack of IS should not be a problem. The difference of 200-300mm is also well within "cropability" so I shouldn't worry about the 100mm.

The build and glass quality more than justify the £100, plus you get a big white tube on the end of your camera that makes you look like a pap... people move out of your way then. ;)

Cupra
In low light you are limited by the f4 aperture which just means that you will have to bump your ISO up to compensate. As you will be using it for sports and the subject will probably be moving, IS wont help you much either so the L still comes up trumps.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
yeah will be looking to use it for sports/nature and motoring mainly so hope it will be ok. suppose I can try as it will sell for virtually the price I buy it for :)

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
managed to get it for £370 delivered which I think is a good deal. 2007 model as well. At least it wont lose too much value if I need to sell :)

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Lens arrived today and my god it is large. makes my 500d look very small indeed. cant wait to start shooting with it. Just hope the 200mm will be long enough

Oil Burner
It will be fine, get a 1.4x tc if the 500d can deal with it and you will have enough lens for nearly everything.

Mondeo ST TDci
Where did you get the lens from Andy? can i ask how much you paid? i only ask as im looking to upgrade my 70-200L f4 to the 70-200L 2.8

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
first attempt today. havent gone through them all or processed any but here goes:

5027015496_810e8e22a8_b.jpg

Cupra
You were on ISO 100 with a shutter speed of 1/125. You could have bumped the ISO up to 400 or even 800 to increase the shutter speed (1/500 or 1/1000 respectively).
Shutter priority mode will help you out a lot for motorsports as that is the factor that you want to control the most.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Cheers Andy. Always thought 100/200 ISO is best for outdoor work and slightly longer shutter speed. Will 800 give a lot of noise?

Cupra
I would think that 800 should be fine on your camera, especially if you get the exposure correct, but I have not used a 500D so could not be sure. 1/1000 is taking it a bit far too TBH, as you would freeze all motion in the shot.

If you are doing panning shots, then a slower shutter speed is fine, but to start with at least, you can do whatever you need to in order to raise the shutter speed . If you can't open the aperture more, then the only option is to raise the ISO.

Just keep on playing and I would venture out of the green box mode to get a feel of how the settings can affect your shots.

Have fun!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
im toying with the idea of a refurbished 50D as its only £480 and sell the 500d to get me out of the basic SLR into more advanced techniques but think I would be better sat with a book or a guide that helps.

Think if trying again will try on f4 with ISO 400 and a slower shutter speed of around 1/400