ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon EOS 550D

Inferno 182 CUP
I have decided not to go for the 500 and to get the 550D instead.

The guy in Jessops got excited about the 550 and said it uses the internals of the 7D which is a £1800 camera where as the 500 uses the same as the 1000D etc.

He also said the 550 had an 18-55 IS lens. What does that mean?

I am a newb to this so its all a learning curve.

I think you should do a bit of research before spending vast amounts on an SLR if you don't even know about lenses. Read the guides at the top, that would be a good start.

Do you also need so many threads?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Is this the 3rd thread?

Oh I want a cheap 350d! :eek:

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
take it you arent interested in tmy camera anymore? The guy in Jessops told you bull crap tbh if you think you will be getting a mini 7d :D

ITB BG 182
IS means Image Stability, if you want to take pictures with less fuzz or haze then this will aid you if you have hand shake.

The man in Jessops, who has lead you to believe your getting a mini 7D is talking s**t.
A 550D with a kit lens will cost you £670ish, this camera has 18mb pictures, 3.7fps (on a low Q setting) image size is 5184 x 3456 and ISO is 100-12800. And HD Movies.
A 7D body only is £1162. same 18mb pics, 8fps as standard in higher quality. Image size the same and ISO is 100-12800 with HD movies.

Now some one correct me if im wrong, but the 7d has more settings within the ISO, shoots faster pictures and handles the ISO alot better rate.
On top of the 7d it has weather proof from light to medium rain down pour ie weather sealing, it has the self cleaning technology the sensors are slightly different too. Aswell as having a more durable body instead of plastic that can break.
I know some one with a 500d, he dropped it from a small height and split the casing on it and not having insurance cost him another £200+ postal rates.

So yea, you do get some of the features the 7d has but its not 'just as good' as the 7d, some of the in camera features of the 7 over rule the xxxD series.

ITB BG 182
he said the higher iso, the IS lens, 7d internals was all worth it

Go join a forum called talkphotography, they will give you loads and loads of information.
Jessops are good, just remember they get paid extra on commision, if they can get you to buy a £700 camera over a £600 camera then they will get a little extra for it.

Make yourself a budget of x amount for all kit.
Decide on what you will be wanting to do with the camera, sports, portraite or landscape.
Look at what lenses you might need to buy.
DO look at insurance, it could be very costly without it.

DO NOT let any sales person bully you, they will try it on.
If possible try and find people with the cameras your looking at and have a go with them, see if you like it.

There is loads and loads of advice i could give you but i dont want to put an essay on this forum when you can get experts advice from people who do it as a job from some where else.

Inferno 182 CUP
of course im not expecting it to be a 7d lol otherwise why make a 7d?

but he said it is built upon the 7d where as the 500 is built upon the lower models.

meaning the 550 is starting to see 7d stuff where as the 500 is a posh 450 basically.

i know the 5d 7d etc are the mcdaddys but he said the 550 is starting to get into better territory so for the money but that instead of the 500 :)

hope i make sense lol!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
true the 550D is better than the 500D (which isnt based on lower spec models) which is why it costs more money. suppose it depends how much you are looking to spend.

Good luck!

ITB BG 182
Say if £800 is your target budget, bearing in mind that £670 is your camera and kit lensm you'll need a memory card, camera bag, filters, card reader, possibly lens hoods. £130 is not going to last long.

A used Canon 50d to be had for £460.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=263881

A used 450d with kit lens for £320 with RMSD
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=263544

Or a 7d for £900.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=265520

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I have the 550D, its great.

If I had the money, I'd have bought the 7D.

The 550D is by no means a mini 7D.

ITB BG 182
hate to brag but i have the 7d, it brilliant. Played with a 450d, 500d, 50d, 60d, 7d and 1dII.
The 7D is best suited to what im doing.

Inferno 182 CUP
Well I've bought 2 cards, a bag and a tripod.

So I just need a camera and a lens. I think I'll get the 550 or I'll regret it! 7d would be nice but it's a waste on someone of my amateur talent.

I had a 350D once

Cupra
The 350D is a great camera. It's weakness is performance at high ISO, but that is similar to most models from that generation.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You just said a whole bunch of stuff I don't understand. :eek: I'm excited about getting one though!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The 350d. Would be a nice starter camera for really good pictures. :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My apologies Dan.

I should have said ii'm very keen to learn photography on awhole, not to a crazy level.

And car photography interests me a lot, i'm lucky enough to have a great workshop with lights and stuff to experiment with and I feel and i'm lead to believe this would be a good starter camera. :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I was quite liking the fact of messing around with them after they were taken, adjust them slightly and get a better picture overall.

All about practice! :)

Inferno 182 CUP
my problem isnt the picture taking i seem to have some wierd knack at that.

its the editing afterwards i cant do =\

You don't have to edit everything.

If you're good at taking pictures, what comes off the card should be good enough. Obviously things can be improved, but hours with photoshop is far from essential.

Inferno 182 CUP
i have never edited a picture i mean.

i "think" i have good photos.

BUT i have never been able to edit them as i dont know how lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

If you're good at taking pictures, what comes off the card should be good enough. Obviously things can be improved, but hours with photoshop is far from essential.
Just for playing about purposes, selective colour and things like that. Just to mess about really.

I think for the price a 350d seems like a good started camera for that kinda thing.

Might take more pictureszorz of the frp. :quiet:

ITB BG 182

editing or processing is the better side of things, i know im just getting in to photography and i already working out what ISO for which kind of light and brightness.

Seeing as ive spent a few pennies on having the better camera, i have took the wise route and got myself booked in for a proper course on how to do things faster and better, this will also teach me how to edit pictures that are over or under exposed aswell as removing items or subject from a picture that could look better with and without some thing there.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's also something I looked into to get the best out the camera and the editing. A little course.

I did a course, was the biggest waste of time. I ended up teaching the teacher how to use photoshop, then showing everyone else.

Should have paid me TBH.

Buy the 'Understanding Exposure' book and then practice practice practice.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I did a course, was the biggest waste of time. I ended up teaching the teacher how to use photoshop, then showing everyone else.

Should have paid me TBH.

Buy the 'Understanding Exposure' book and then practice practice practice.
Cheers, Dan.

koi

Audi S1
It's also something I looked into to get the best out the camera and the editing. A little course.

Might be too far for you but the Glasgow Met has some good courses. Lecturers are good and college is well equipped.

Inferno 182 CUP
Canon EOS 500D = £510
Canon EOS 550D = £660
Do i save £150 and go for the 500?
Im a casual user nothing special just doing it for a hobby and enjoying myself.
Is the 550 worth an extra £150?
IM going to pick one after work tonight and i know they feel the same etc as ive held them and gumph but need a pros advice!