ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cant Start My Ph2 172

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
I cant get my bumped ph2 172 (2002) to start...

When I turn the key I can hear the wheigning noise from the module on the front of the plenum and the aux belt is turning the alternator etc (I can see its moving...I can smell petrol getting to the engine (yes my tech knowledge is awesome)

The Stop light is lit...the immobiliser light next to it is out

Theres petrol in the tank

Is there some sort of fuel cut that was activated in the bump?

TVR Cerbera
Donno if this helps, did the airbags go off? I know some cars have a safety fuel cut off, but i don't know if clios have em

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Airbags didnt go off...how do i check the seatbelt pre-tensioners? ..Ive read up that both affect each other?

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Anyone got a pic of this ph1 reset button? I hunted high and low for any kind of button today...all I found that looked out of place was a connector hanging down from under the climate control switches (white plug)

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
ok...could it be down to compression? ...its only had a bump :(

Took the inlet manifold off to check the plugs earlier...they were all quite wet with fuel...could have been flooded now?

Tried a trick with the fuel pump...took the fuse out and turned over for about 5 seconds...then turned over while putting the fuse back in

cambelt hasnt snapped because the cam is turning...aux belt is also turning

When I first turned it over this morning I got a little splutter from the exhaust...likewise when I replaced the inlet manifold after checking the plugs

Also dropped a little oil in each plug hole before putting the plugs back

It must be compression??? :mad:

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Is there a common fault with the Coil Pack on the 172? ...what symptoms would I get from a faulty one? ...Do they work in an all or nothing way?

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Just had a silly thought...do you need to be clunk clicked with the seatbelt to start the car?

Not with the car at the moment so cant test this theory?

Any more help on this would be appreciated? ...TDC Sensor?

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Did you say you'd had a bump in it?? When I spoke to Renault about the problem with my UCH they said they get a lot of them pack up if the cars been in an accident. The UCH controls the immobilliser so if you've had a smack it could be that.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
I did have some advice that if the battery dies and you charge up the battery with it connected to the car it wipes all the codes on the ECU...then Renault have to reprogram it :( ...hope its not that

Will go to my dealer today and see what they suggest...probably how to lighten my wallet of a few hundred quid I imagine lol

...but yes...its had a bump...very light though...not something that set the airbags off heavy anyway

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
...I popped into the local dealer on the way home from work and they said theyd have to plug it into the computer (typical) ...I mentioned that I read about TDC sensors being common faults and that I was getting a spark...he didnt eliminate the sensor when I said that though...would there be a spark if the TDC sensor was knackered?

They said that because it had been in a bump...the "Airbag Computer" may be at fault...and would probably need replacing...even though the bags hadnt fired?

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
So...would I get a spark through the coil pack if the TDC was knackered? ...I had a spark when I tested it the other day...

HELP

J

JEFF4507

You not thought to call someone if it's that bad ??

Try this first though.

A couple of days ago I stalled my car coming out of a parking space on a steep hill. Obviously not enough room to get it out to bump start it, so luckily the extended warranty includes AA roadside assistance, though it took 1:20 to get there.

Eventually he tried an override that is meant to be for the petrol models (he said he'd never seen this happen to a diesel before, and not after stalling either).

Turn the key to position2, wait until all of the warning lights go out, then turn it off, and immediately to position3 to start the car. This is apparently a way to get the car started when the battery is flat.

I saw on the computer it also said leave the key on position2 for 5 minutes, and then try to start it.

My car wouldn't fire at all, it would do anything battery wise, but not start the car. Didn't need any work though, and runs fine. If it happens again I'll take it to Renault.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Well its not a priority at the moment...Id like to get it started so I can move it around the yard...

As it wont start...getting it checked out is proving difficult as I dont have a tow. Id like to get someone local that does a mobile diagnostic on it...but there doesnt seem to be anyone (Swansea area)

Ill try the suggestions youve posted though

Been spending most of my time scrounging all over the UK for repair bits :) ...managed to get a 172 projector headlamp for £24 delivered :)