ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car camera rig test shots - Saab

1.2 Dynamique billabong
hey guys just finished going through the pics from a little test shoot i did today, on the whole i am pretty pleased with the rig setup, the biggest difficult was that the ground was bumpy in places so next time i will find a better location with a smoother road. the photoshoping out of the rig was a bit of a mission and could probably be neatened up in a few places but i got bored lol.
enjoy
James
2-copy-1.jpg

1-copy-1.jpg

3-copy-1.jpg

5-copy-1.jpg

4-copy-1.jpg

Suzuki Ignis
Top work, I really need to get mine built. Maybe if a few people on here will let me try some shots on there car, it will encourage me to get it done...

Holy crap! Thats a big rig, looks a b**ch to edit out!

Mines a lot smaller as it just comprises of an aluminium pole with two suction mounts. How far does yours allow to get off the car too?

Absolutely brilliant, the exposures are bang on as well.

Would love to do this but my editing skills are nowhere near good enough (and I'm not patient!)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice pics.

I keep wanting to do this with my video cam, would love to get a low down clip of the rear wheel c*cking around a roundabout.

Not brave enough though, always paranoid the suction mount would fail!

1.2 Dynamique billabong
thanks guys, the rig looks like this, its made of 5ft lengths of aluminium that has a flange on them allowing the top of one to go into the bottom of the other, i drilled and bolted them to stop them coming apart, for this shoot i only used two poles but i have 2 more if i really need them (making it 20ft long), the poles are then held to the suction mounts using jubilee/hose clips, allowing them to be moved about to get a suitable position
rig1-1.jpg

rig2.jpg

rig3.jpg

rig4.jpg

2rigconstruction.jpg

1rigconstruction.jpg

3rigconstruction.jpg

i will probably change the tripod for something else at some point like a monopod or a superclamp with just a tripod head

lol! Get rid of the tripod straight away m8, god know how much that things weighs!
Get a superclamp and tripod head, that's what I use - its much simpler to use, and you get a lot more freedom when framing the shot :)

FF RB 182
ROFL! Errr....no it doesnt!

There is no other car, just the camera attached to a 'pole' which is attached to the car!
If there's another car, why use a rig?! :S

I thought it was a rig coming off the side of a different car because I've seen them like that. No need to be like that, rigs come in different designs.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
yeah shadowness i was thinking of the superclamp idea, this was just for testing the tubes etc, it worked quite well and the best bit is that its portable as the tubes connect together so i can fit them all in my clio.

http://www.automotiverigs.com/
i did look at under car rigs too like these (and the pic you posted) but still using suction mounts

like this 2 second photoshop
rig.jpg

and
mount.jpg

That looks quite a lot of work to photoshop out! Personally I find this method to be the easiest to me at the moment (I would like to do the under car magent option, but thats a bit more pricey lol!)

DSC_4475.jpg

Thats my rig (and my dads car :)) on its 3m setting, I have another metre too

1.2 Dynamique billabong
yeah i think your probably right i will just stick with the bonnet mounted rig for now, that pic looks good buddy

Cupra
I'd be worried about my camera falling off the end, or the driver forgetting about it and hitting a bollard or something. Love the results!

You only have to roll the car though.. Not like its going 40mph! lol..

How much do these rig things cost out of interest?

The automotiverigs one is about $800 I think. Mine was probably about £200 when I add everything up :)
But you can do it for A LOT cheaper, but expect crappy results

1.2 Dynamique billabong
thanks for all the comments guys

You only have to roll the car though.. Not like its going 40mph! lol..

How much do these rig things cost out of interest?

once i have bought a super clamp and new tripod head it will come to about £120, so far i have spent £45 for the 20ft tubing (except they sent me two kits so i have 8x5ft poles :)) £25 for the suction mounts, and about £10 on jubilee clips and other little bits and pieces - totaling about £80 so far

Where on earth can you drive about with a 3m pole sticking out at an angle from your bonnet, and not attract undue attention?

haha lol it was in the car park outside my dads work on a saturday so was empty

Where on earth can you drive about with a 3m pole sticking out at an angle from your bonnet, and not attract undue attention?

you only push the car and do an exposure of about 0.5s-2s so its not like your are driving about like that lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's what I'm worried about. I want to stick my suction mount on the outside just infront of the rear wheel arch so the camera looking back gets the rear wheel in action around a bend I use.

I'm concerned I'd get someone chasing after me like the mad woman/sparking tyres incident I had before.

Try in on private property first. For example, my work has just moved premises, and Im using their car park and side roads for practice. I wont have any interruptions from passing cars, and im on private property too :)