ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car has more power when cold

clio 1.4RT
Hi all,

The simple problem i have is my old 1998 mk1 clio 1.4rt has more power when cold and pulls up to normal motorway speeds easyer when the car is cold(i live right next to motorway) but once the car has fully warmed up it struggles to get to 70mph especially up hill. so far ive only changed the plugs, leads, rotor arm and cap.
What could be causing this and how do i fix it? could it be fuel relater or ignition???
All help appriciated

Joe

p.s the clutch is not slipping either

anything
Do you have an induction kit?

was gonna say that myself i,d be checking any holes in your airbox chamber and connecting pipes sounds like heat soak

or a fueling problem engine could be on constant choke and running rich

clio 1.4RT
No holes anywhere that i can see and i carnt hear any lair leaks as such either.

how would i know if its running rich?

Don't know much about clio specifics but a lot of cars are slightly faster when cold - thats how the 'superchips' you buy on ebay work, by tricking your car into thinking its cold all the time.

a burnt one
This is a standard feature of all cars, it's a simple fact that cold air is denser and a car performs better when cold.

Nothing is wrong.

Well an old 1.4 engine is going to feel more strained at motorway speeds as the top speed is around 100 mph max? so 70-80 mph is almost flat out.

Coupe/Defender V8
eek, how would you know this? Shouldn't really be gunning it from cold if you have any mechanical sympathy! :(

Cold air has more oxygen than hot air ;)

clio 1.4RT
im not gunning it !!!!! i just want to know why it is so reluctant to get to motorway crusing speeds, If my girlfriends old 1L corse can happyly get to 70 mph and stay there even up hill then why the hell wont my old 1.4 clio?