ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car history checks - how much can you find out?

Clio 182
My girlfriend is looking at a new car this weekend, and I wanted to do a check on the vehicles history to see if there had been any major work done in the past - will I be able to find out if the car has been in any accidents even if it hadn't been bad enough for it to be written off?

Cheers, Ross

172/vx220t/m135i
My girlfriend is looking at a new car this weekend, and I wanted to do a check on the vehicles history to see if there had been any major work done in the past - will I be able to find out if the car has been in any accidents even if it hadn't been bad enough for it to be written off?

Cheers, Ross
No not if it hasn't been registered as cat c,d etc you wouldn't no if it had a bump. Can check mileage verification, if car has had a colour change, if there is any outstanding finance etc though.

If its been repaired buy not gone through an insurance claim, then no, its highly unlikely you will find out about it.

Clio 182
Ok thanks for the replies. What about if it was in an accident and a claim was made through insurance, but it wasn't a cat C or D etc... would I be able to find that out?

I know you can never be 100% but I think at least if there hasn't been any claims on insurance for the vehicle its less likely it would have had major damage.

Clio 182
Its a new mini. It just seems a bit too good for the price which made me suspicious! I'm taking a mechanic pal with me anyway who will hopefully spot if there's been any poor/bodged repairs or anything for me to worry about it. The normal car check you can do by check came back all clear so I guess that's all I can do. Thanks again for the advice.