ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Pc Install

Bumder With A Buffer
Ok for the last couple of years I have been playing with the idea of putting a PC into the car. Why???

1. Unlimited music (mp3's etc)
2. Video/Films (when not driving!!)
3. Gps
4. Mainly coz i like "whazzing" and gadgets!

The Car PC community is crazy! Theres so many programs etc etc!!

Any ways got hold of this set up..............

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/richyclio172/?action=view&current=P6110012.jpg

7" Touchscreen, Iwill ZPC 512mb ram, 40gb hd (will be running boot xp to get a quick boot time 20-30 seconds) all the audio cables etc.

Already have 2 10" Dragster subs in a box with an amp (god knows what that is now...been in the garage for 2 years!) and it will be connected to that for sound.

Some pics of the software etc....

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/richyclio172/?action=view&current=P6130014.jpg

^^^^ Thats the "Front End" been modded a little bit so my cars on there and the renault logo pops up (theres loads more skins il show a video at some point)

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/richyclio172/?action=view&current=P6130018.jpg

^^^ Thats the music browser (that music aint mine it was left on by the guy before me!!)

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/richyclio172/?action=view&current=CarPC1.jpg

^^ That one is the phone software. I can answer/select who to call from a phonebook etc etc

Last edited:
  Bumder With A Buffer
This pic is obviously the interior of my car showing where the screen will be. But with a twist....... When i boot up the pc the software (using flash) zooms in from that picture to the screen so the screen is embeded in there and zooms into it (kinda cool i thought!!)

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/richyclio172/?action=view&current=Interior2.jpg

Anyhow il try and update this once i get "Whazzing" got to make a custom mount for the dash, relocate the hazard/heater and doorlock switches, run power cables to the psu blah blah blah!

1998 BMW e46 323i
very good idea. would like something similar, but wouldn't wanna be messing up my OEM dash too much

this has crossed my mind before, i looked at the shuttle cases which run a micro ATX board, never seen the one you have tho, looks amazing.

What costs are involved?

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
Awesome, in the middle of doing the same. what frontend is that? and the phonecall stuff is through bt and your mobile yeah?

you should maybe edit the number out the pic :rasp:

Bumder With A Buffer
Well i brought everything so screen, pc, cables, gps receiver, keyboard etc for £200.... bargain if you ask me.

The touchscreen needs a new overlay but thats it!

Yep thats RoadRunner on there atm... got every imaginable plugin for it at the mo, Radio, Satnav etc.

Theres a real cool plug in that allows you to use maps from google earth in your gps... which to me is WOW!

Bumder With A Buffer
Awesome, in the middle of doing the same. what frontend is that? and the phonecall stuff is through bt and your mobile yeah?

you should maybe edit the number out the pic :rasp:

ARSE!!!! Done it now! Yeah its running through BT. Althoug i need a good BT dongle, one that accepts/uses the widcomm drivers (mine dont! grrr) So i can connect atm but no sound.

Bumder With A Buffer
Oh few more things to mod into my list!!

Keeping the stalk controls behind the steering wheel, these will be put into a "hacked" usb joypad so when i press volume up it turns up the volume, next track changes track etc etc.

And possibly an obd reader maybe although thinking this isnt a good idea.

Bumder With A Buffer
More things to do!!.....

Writing software/designing a control board to allow me to control the A/C from the PC.

Doing a proper boot install with my amps this time rather than chucking them in there!! All the speakers need to be powered from an amp (or 2) so going to be looking at that as well!

Too much to do and I want it done yesterday!!!

RenaultSport clio 182
Hi just to say it looks great. Screen looks a good fit once you have removed original head unit and hazard, demist door lock switches. Where have you resited these. thanks

Bumder With A Buffer
Okay got most of it in but have hit a stumbling block!!

When coming to fitthe screen in noticed that there is no easy way to fix it in place. I have it in the at the mo just help in with capton tape! Bodge!! lol

I need to relocate the hazard switch etc so came up with the idea of mounting everything including the heater control onto a piece of plastic that will cover over where everything currently is.

Anyone know where i can get some good plastic from?? Prob about 5mm thick?? as it needs to bend ever so slightly

Need to get all the hazard lights etc in place as the MOT is due (in fact it runs out 26th!!)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
IMO, Good bet for plastic would be to contact someone from a local uni, or a mate that goes to a uni that has product design, offer to pay and these students will bite your hand off at the opportunity! The product design guys make some amazing stuff where i am, and use rapid form to get it from a 3d computer model to something in your hand in an hour or so!

Or if you just want the materials, contact them anyway, and ask for where they get they're materials?

Last edited:
  Bumder With A Buffer
Shame I dont work at that F1 place anymore.... They used to do Carbon Fibre Dash's... I could of knocked one up at work (for free providing I did all the work!)
that would of been cool!