ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car pulling to right after having partworn tyre fitted

cup 182
Got a tyre fitted earlier today just a partworn however the car now veers to the right and need to force it left to keep it straight, also vibration through steering wheel at 70, im hoping it just needs the wheel alignment looked at as its very skittish now and all over the place
anyone experienced the same?

cup 182
Firstly i had a puncture and was not repairable so had to get a tyre and it was a partworn hankook tyre and guy said all his tyres come from europe as laws diffrent for tread depth, so tyres legal for over here in uk and at 20 quid rather than 80 odd for one tyre was ok just strange with car pulling now, im guessing hes not balanced wheel after putting tyre on

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Sell children/limb/organs/yourself - but get the money for some decent rubber.

You've got one of the most focused and light-weight hot-hatches of the last generation, but you're not putting decent rubber on it? You might as well attempt to play rugby while wearing a pair of stilettos....

D.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
You've got one of the most focused and light-weight hot-hatches of the last generation, but you're not putting decent rubber on it? You might as well attempt to play rugby while wearing a pair of stilettos...

Absolutely. I'd be very cautious about putting dodgy rubber on a car that steerable on the throttle.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I'd never do it.

Odd really though as you get part worn tyres when you buy a second hand car.

I did lol.

If you activley seek part worns, they were obviously taken off for a reason. Sure, there will be a few that take them off just because they want a different type of tyre, but the majority will be off because of a defect of some sort. Not worth the risk, tyres and brakes are things to do properly! Hint hint OP.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I always use part worns, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look for defects etc before you buy and use a bit of common sense to find good rubber at a fraction of the price of new.

however, I wouldn't change just one tyre, pairs only, and I sure as hell would make sure they're balanced.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
LOL nothing wrong with a decent set of part worn tyres.

If a car is written off thats brand new, the tyres might of only covered 200 miles but they are classed as part worns. Can get plenty of decent sets of performance tyres in "part worn".

I think a lot of people associate part worns with remoulds.

Is the part worn the same as what you have on the opposite side though? Sparkyp23.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio
LOL nothing wrong with a decent set of part worn tyres.

If a car is written off thats brand new, the tyres might of only covered 200 miles but they are classed as part worns. Can get plenty of decent sets of performance tyres in "part worn".

Key phrase... if a car is written off. You don't write off a brand new car dinking into a wall at 5mph do you. There is no possible way you can tell what stresses the tyres would have been put through during the accident or what they might have come into contact with.

Part worns are taken off cars for a reason. People don't wake up one day and think hmm i'll take my new tyres off my car and get some more, do they?

If you can't afford new tyres for a car you obviously can't afford to run it. Especially on a Clio which you can get decent tyres for about £70 fitted.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Key phrase... if a car is written off. You don't write off a brand new car dinking into a wall at 5mph do you. There is no possible way you can tell what stresses the tyres would have been put through during the accident or what they might have come into contact with.

Part worns are taken off cars for a reason. People don't wake up one day and think hmm i'll take my new tyres off my car and get some more, do they?

If you can't afford new tyres for a car you obviously can't afford to run it. Especially on a Clio which you can get decent tyres for about £70 fitted.

It was an example.

Go on ebay and look at the hundreds of used performance tyres. My mate runs his car off nothing but used performance tyres from ebay and never has any issues.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It was an example.

Go on ebay and look at the hundreds of used performance tyres. My mate runs his car off nothing but used performance tyres from ebay and never has any issues.

Two points:

1) Earlier you said 'decent' part worns, how exactly do you know they are decent?

2) Buying used performance tyres off ebay... he might not have any issues now but who do you think has a better QC/QA process. A) The factory producing performance tyres or your mate / tyre fitter quickly looking over them before fitting?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Two points:

1) Earlier you said 'decent' part worns, how exactly do you know they are decent?

2) Buying used performance tyres off ebay... he might not have any issues now but who do you think has a better QC/QA process. A) The factory producing performance tyres or your mate / tyre fitter quickly looking over them before fitting?

Lol ok whatever.

I'd have no issues buying used tyres.

We get plenty off cars at work that come in that are 4wd or rwd etc with plenty of tread left but the customers like to change 2 or 4 at a time even though theres plenty left on them.

Renault Clio 172 cup
I work in a scrap metal yard, we have scrap cars coming in all the time, some with virtually new tyres on , but may have blown engines, mot failures etc. All the tyres are taken off and then sorted through. Real crap gets chucked in a 40 yd skip and taken down to a place to be environmentally disposed of. Anything considered decent and usable is either used by pretty much all the staff at our place ( 30+ people with cars ) or sold on to part worn tyre shops.
Nothing wrong with decent part worns, not everyone can afford to buy new tyres all the time. I did cabbing for 12 years and never ever bought a new tyre.
I do however put new stuff on my Clio ..but I do use it for trackdays etc so consider it a neccessary expense.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I work in a scrap metal yard, we have scrap cars coming in all the time, some with virtually new tyres on , but may have blown engines, mot failures etc. All the tyres are taken off and then sorted through. Real crap gets chucked in a 40 yd skip and taken down to a place to be environmentally disposed of. Anything considered decent and usable is either used by pretty much all the staff at our place ( 30+ people with cars ) or sold on to part worn tyre shops.
Nothing wrong with decent part worns, not everyone can afford to buy new tyres all the time. I did cabbing for 12 years and never ever bought a new tyre.
I do however put new stuff on my Clio ..but I do use it for trackdays etc so consider it a neccessary expense.

If you see having tyres you know are safe for track days, why do you consider tyres you can never be 100% sure on for road use? You'll still be going 70MPH at points etc.

Logic fail

Renault Clio 172 cup
I would have no problem using part worns on the road, and have done many times. Its a round bit of rubber. Anyone with a bit of common sense can see whether a tyre is in a safe condition to be used. I do not push a car at all on the road and if a part worn tyre had a problem you would notice it almost immediately.
I have also used part worns on the track , I have done about 15 trackdays in the last year and a half and at least 10 of them were done on part worn 888's I bought off of e bay. They were all pretty used when I bought them and all performed superbly. Once the summer months get here I will be doing the same again. At the moment the weather is a little unpredictable ( wet+cold) so I am running Toyo R1r's and Nankang NS2R'S ( both cheap new and capable track tyres in indifferent conditions ).
To take it to the other extreme, a few years ago a mate dug an old used tyre off the bottom of a pile to put on his 1000 cc motorcycle when a few of us were at the Nurburgring. I thought he was off his rocker. He crashed first lap and nearly killed himself when the tyre let go near the end of the lap.
Its a judgement call, if I was rich I'd probably always buy new. I'm not so I don't.

Got a tyre fitted earlier today just a partworn however the car now veers to the right and need to force it left to keep it straight, also vibration through steering wheel at 70, im hoping it just needs the wheel alignment looked at as its very skittish now and all over the place
anyone experienced the same?

Balancing might sort the vibration but I doubt it will sort the pulling issue. As it was fine before fitting the tyre then thats your problem, don't bother doing anything like alignment at the moment - just get a matching pair of front tyres.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
a lot come from Europe where there tyre wear limit is higher and there are some places where all tyres have to be the same brand.

had a guy come into work with a unrepairable puncture had to replace all the tyres on his car with the same brand as the ones he had on are not available .

how many people buy a set of alloys and use the same tyres? or buy 2nd hand tyres on here ect. even when they buy a car do you change the tyres because you don't know the history of them? no you use them till they need replacing. no different than using part worn tyres.

pulling to one side means theres a rolling radius difference. check the sizes are the same. the profile may be different or diiferent makes of tire with a slightly different rolling radius. one wheel is travelling further per revolution than the other so the wheel pulls to one side to compensate.

WRX
Every used car has part worns on. I didn't know the history of the tyres on my car when I bought it.

cup 182
i think alot of folk are confusing partworn to remoulds and being dodgy tyres, when in fact alot of partworn tyres are brand names, in germany etc europe the tyre tread depth is legally higher than the 1.6mm in the uk so they get shipped over here as partworn however your practically getting a tyre with loads of legal tread left, there not tyres that have been recut or moulded, i think the only issue i had is when i hit the bump that punctured the tyre its knocked my tracking alignment out i think

i think alot of folk are confusing partworn to remoulds and being dodgy tyres, when in fact alot of partworn tyres are brand names, in germany etc europe the tyre tread depth is legally higher than the 1.6mm in the uk so they get shipped over here as partworn however your practically getting a tyre with loads of legal tread left, there not tyres that have been recut or moulded, i think the only issue i had is when i hit the bump that punctured the tyre its knocked my tracking alignment out i think

tracking wont make your wheel pull to side unless its so far out you have bent something. check the tire sizes

Renault Clio
Every used car has part worns on. I didn't know the history of the tyres on my car when I bought it.

The tyres are still on the car. They haven't been removed for what ever reason.
You don't take tyres off a car for no reason.

WRX
I don't think you get what I mean. If you've bought a used car, how do you know the previous owner didn't fit part worns. Also as previously stated, most part worns come from Germany etc. where they have a higher minimum tread depth.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I don't think you get what I mean. If you've bought a used car, how do you know the previous owner didn't fit part worns. Also as previously stated, most part worns come from Germany etc. where they have a higher minimum tread depth.

Both your posts are bang on the money. We use occasionally a company that sell part worn tyres and have done with a good rep for many years and never had an issue. When people buy sets of wheels off here, ebay, the man on the moon go they change the tyres to new ones? I'm going to guess not.