ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car running odd

1.5dci
ok, im no mechanic but i try - :eek:

ive got a problem with my clio 1.2 8v

after loosing my licence she sat for a year as i didnt want to get rid, anyway after having some bodywork done, bit of paint, new starter, shes now having some trouble over the last couple weeks -

like running a complete bag of sh..
so it was leaking at the rocker cover down the front, into plug one ( would explain the misfire etc ) , then down to the floor so we oilchanged it and changed the filter - granteds i hadnt changed the filter as i didnt have the correct tool at the time for doing it, but a mate come round n we sorted it - that seems to have solved the leak from the rocker cover it- but its still seems to be running poo - like idleing high waay to high .. so for example, revs will be at 1.2k then on there own go up to about 1400, then drop down to 1200 - then she'll idle sweet if i having the heating on full - but then saying that if i decide to open the windowss the revs will drop to around 500 so shes nearly stalling.

ive also had the problem of losing power while driving- will be going along and revs will just drop off the scale, so i have to really give on the gas - to keep her going.

this thankfully only happened for a couple of days then ran fine again - cant quite figure it out.

oh, the other issue is she almost every time takes 2 starts to get going, so key in, tern over - revs up then dies. 2nd time runs fine. ( ive had a new starter )

so i wouldnt mind someone with a little knowhow or anyone who's had this fault before :)

how did changing the oil filter sort out the leak from the rocker cover?:S

leaving it sat for a year has not done it much good if it was my car i would disconnect and clean every electrical connetion under the bonnet on top of a service, plugs ,leads etc etc. then go from there

1.5dci
well, ive no idea but it seems to have stopped when we did the oil - next is new leads ( plugs being only 3 months old - im poor lol so have to rely on my peasant wage to get bits at a time )

so cleaning all the electrical connectors - what exactly am i going to need,.

im a total bloody novice i know :(

Jap Box
well, ive no idea but it seems to have stopped when we did the oil - next is new leads ( plugs being only 3 months old - im poor lol so have to rely on my peasant wage to get bits at a time )

so cleaning all the electrical connectors - what exactly am i going to need,.

im a total bloody novice i know :(

To clean the plugs just get some metal scouring pad or sandpaper, should be good enough for the job.

You should have started the car every few days when it was sitting really :rasp:

1.5dci
well, it passed the mot last month with no problems - which is all well and good but nothing identified what problems ive got atm...

and as for starting it, it was started for a while - but a few problems arose with where i was storing it so ... after a while it didnt get started.. anyways

can anyone identify what problems im experienceing ?

other then that the only other thins i can think of is idle control valve and lambda sensor ? probably want a good clean.. either that, or do you think alternator needs replacing ?