ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car running rich

When i drive my car flat out, and change gear i get a puff of black smoke out of the back, there is no smoke building up to the change its just when i change. As far as i knew black smoke is unburnt fuel? is this the case, and does that mean my car is running rich? or is the engine just shagged!!! If anyone has got any ideas on why its doing it and how to stop it id be grateful!!!

Thanks

Scott

clio williams, Ph1 172

I never notice black smoke on mine. But now i got a straight through decat pipe I get a lot more soot on the exhaust. The smoke u gotta be worried about is blue as thats burnin oil. Or white, which is steam. If the head gaskets going.

You probably are worrying over nothin mate. is it running ok?

Yeah the car is running alrigh, dont seem to have lost any power, but i dont think the car is a quick as it should be, as my mates RS2000 is just as quick as me!

Hopefully its nothing, but i thought better ask.

Cheers

clio williams, Ph1 172

well an RS2000 has about 150bhp as its a 2 litre. Probably about right.

Get it on the rollers mate and see what power its producing

The times ive seen for them, though the Valver should be quicker, but best thing to do i spose is get it on the rollers.

Im interested in getting on some rollers if anyone down south is too ? [South London preferably !!] ??? If anyone has any ideas let me know as I havent a clue !!

Cheers

The de-cat will be causing the puffs of smoke on the over-run. If this ignites, you get flames! Perfectly normal on a 16v/Willy F7R/P engine with a de-cat.

Clio 1.8 16v

what happens if u get blue smoke comin out when u change gear?also notice when i tapped the peddal over 4500 revs it pops +sum times it dont pop n it shows blue smoke!!!

Ben, the valver doesnt inject fuel on the overrun, total fuel cutoff at anything above idle speed if the potentiometer readin is at its lowest. But those pops and puffs of smoke are just fuel injected when a tiny TPS signal is given, but not burnt very well since the ignition curves for low TPS readings and high rpm are conservative.

Decat has little effect on it.

Blue smoke is light oil burning........do a compression test.