ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car sounds like im driving over gravel :S

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Basically, if you boost in any gear... Say 2nd for arguments sake.

Take it up to 5-6k revvs and let off the accelerator, there is this wiered sound coming from what seems to be the front left underneith the car?

Imagine driving over some loose stones/gravel at about 5 mph. that kinda noise!

Had a look under the car and can't see anything out of place.

Can anyone throw any ideas at me as im out.

Luke :)

S4 Avant
exhaust?

could be blowing slightly? the joint in between the cat and centre section was forever opening up on mine.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Il get under tomorrow and feel for blows. Is that how you check?

Just fitted my yozza aswell so it may be that?

Titanium 182
If it was grinding it would most likely be that your CV grease has split or your gearbox oil is low.

Check for grease flung about underneath. Dunno how to check gbox oil though :eek:

S4 Avant
Well if you poke your head under, you should be able to hear any blows on tick over, should sound like a "putting" noise.

You could have a heat shield loose as well, my car had a rattle on over run, turned out to be the heatshield sat on the back boxes.

+1 for CV grease as well, just check the inside of the hubs, where the rubber gaitor is at the end of the drive shafts.

Shouldn't be any grease around there.

Da

Less
Gearbox oil is highly unlikely as this was Andy's car previously. Favourite for me Luke would be the mani/CAT/system joints. These are notorious for leaks.

What are you calling the left hand side of the car??

If it was grinding it would most likely be that your CV grease has split or your gearbox oil is low.

Check for grease flung about underneath. Dunno how to check gbox oil though :eek:

Lol. There's no proper way of checking it really, you can only top it up until it runs out of the hole you fill it up from.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Gearbox oil is highly unlikely as this was Andy's car previously. Favourite for me Luke would be the mani/CAT/system joints. These are notorious for leaks.

What are you calling the left hand side of the car??

Like the front wheel/middle of the car area. I can't be certain as i can't really be specific as to where the sound is coming from.

No way is it the gearbox oil either. Gearbox feels tight as ever believe it or not. slides nicely and freely into every gear.

Il check the simple things first such as exhaust/ see if its rattling on anything.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Iv come to the conclusion i is definatly the exhaust. maybe it rattling on the heat sheild or something. Going to jack it up asap, thanks for the advice guys

S4 Avant
Your welcome!

Also, now you've suffered one problem with your zorst, they'll keep occuring.

I've superglued my heat shield to the floor of my car now, fed up of the rattles!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Nah, its going to birchdown asap to get my thermostat sorted so if its not fixed il get the boys to do it :cool:. Your car is a massive rig up dave lol

S4 Avant
My car is held together with duck tape, cable ties and super glue...

But I don't have any rattles any more, and it drives brilliantly now for a change!

2002 Cup172
wern't duck tape, cable ties and superglue the main tools of renault anyway other then angle grinders.

but duct tape and cable ties are definetly begining to be my main tools on the cup lol.

they def stop rattles and bits falling off all the time