ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Stereo w/ Flip Out Screen

Renault Clio Mk3
Hi,

I have a Mk3 09 plate. I'm looking to get a new car stereo with a flip out screen but I don't really know which brands are good and what I'm really looking for other than a stereo with a flip out screen lol, anybody care to help or post pictures of yours so I can see?

Thanks

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Hi,

I have a Mk3 09 plate. I'm looking to get a new car stereo with a flip out screen but I don't really know which brands are good and what I'm really looking for other than a stereo with a flip out screen lol, anybody care to help or post pictures of yours so I can see?

Thanks
Alpine are the best in general in my own opinion.

What functions do you want? DVD? Satnav? Just Aux/USB? Be a bit more precise mate.

I believe the majority of the 'flip out' range to have's are Kenwoods?

Renault Clio Mk3
Alpine are the best in general in my own opinion.

What functions do you want? DVD? Satnav? Just Aux/USB? Be a bit more precise mate.

I believe the majority of the 'flip out' range to have's are Kenwoods?

One that has Bluetooth for the music but aux is ok as that's what I'm using atm and DVD too. Do you know any websites I can go to?

Thanks for your reply.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
One that has Bluetooth for the music but aux is ok as that's what I'm using atm and DVD too. Do you know any websites I can go to?

Thanks for your reply.
http://www.halfords.com/technology/...dvd740-single-din-7-in-dash-dvd-mp3-cd-player

Seems to have good reviews! It is RipSpeed however, sometimes not that best things have been said about them! I've never used their products though so can't pass judgement. Just read the reviews.

I'd also check eBay mate.

Renault Clio Mk3

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Was just looking at that one, reviews aren't the greatest but I guess for the price you get what you pay for.

I'll have a look on eBay. Thanks mate!
Look for Kenwood or Alpine mate. Used both companies and always spot on products! If you see any and are unsure about them, stick them up and I'm sure people will advise you!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Surprised I haven't been tagged yet. It's usually less than 5 minutes.

IMG_1423.png

Kenwood KVT 526DVD headunit
Kenwood/Parrot BT300 Bluetooth unit
Kenwood/Garmin KNA G620T navigation unit
Can also be fitted with a freeview TV tuner.
Inputs for iPod/USB, aux video channel (in my case the dashcam),
RCAs out for front, rear and subwoofer, as well as a video output for rear screens
Compatible with steering controls
HPFs, LPFs with phase selection, EQ, dual zones etc

It's not the newest setup in the world, about 4-5 years old now I think, but it's very good. They use the same software on a few different flip units of that era so any one will do really. Scour eBay for one.

What I will say though is that there's a b**ch ton of wiring in behind one of these, but this setup was originally fitted in a 200 so it will fit a Mk3. It's just a nightmare getting it all in!

Clio 172, Pug 106
i have the headunit in the post above, its fantastic!

I found it an utter ballbag to fit though due to the wires, but aside that a fantastic unit

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's a hell of a lot easier if you take the top dash off. Sadly it was the third time I'd had to pull out and refit the sodding thing before I realised it.

Clio 172, Pug 106
It's a hell of a lot easier if you take the top dash off. Sadly it was the third time I'd had to pull out and refit the sodding thing before I realised it.

ive had it in and out so many times now i have a strategy with long screwdrivers, swearing and electrical tape...
I dont dare buy any of the extras for it cos it will mean removing it again

Clio 172, Pug 106
to be honest the DAB adapter is a good shout, as my radio signal sucks, could do with takign it out and checkign arial but again i dont dare haha
How much are you looking at for those adapters?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I was looking at the Connects2 AutoDAB lite which is a smidgen over £100.

It's a pain because I listen to Absolute Radio which is only normally available over AM - the quality sucks.

Clio 172, Pug 106
Thats not too bad....

Mine crackles on our local station thats 5 miles from my house haha

Renault Clio Mk3
Surprised I haven't been tagged yet. It's usually less than 5 minutes.

IMG_1423.png

Kenwood KVT 526DVD headunit
Kenwood/Parrot BT300 Bluetooth unit
Kenwood/Garmin KNA G620T navigation unit
Can also be fitted with a freeview TV tuner.
Inputs for iPod/USB, aux video channel (in my case the dashcam),
RCAs out for front, rear and subwoofer, as well as a video output for rear screens
Compatible with steering controls
HPFs, LPFs with phase selection, EQ, dual zones etc

It's not the newest setup in the world, about 4-5 years old now I think, but it's very good. They use the same software on a few different flip units of that era so any one will do really. Scour eBay for one.

What I will say though is that there's a b**ch ton of wiring in behind one of these, but this setup was originally fitted in a 200 so it will fit a Mk3. It's just a nightmare getting it all in!

Thanks for replying that's the ideal one I'm looking for minus the satnav function as my Mk3 Clio is the TomTom version. Whereabouts did you purchase this?

Thanks for replying that's the ideal one I'm looking for minus the satnav function as my Mk3 Clio is the TomTom version. Whereabouts did you purchase this?
Tom Tom version the one with the built in screen? Don't they work with the original CD player? I may be wrong but you may need the original to use the sat nav?

Renault Clio Mk3
Tom Tom version the one with the built in screen? Don't they work with the original CD player? I may be wrong but you may need the original to use the sat nav?

Aaaahhhh!! Now you mention it! But the SatNav works with the remote, so basically only function that wouldn't work would be the satnav screen showing you which station you are on and what sound volume or would there be more cons?

Aaaahhhh!! Now you mention it! But the SatNav works with the remote, so basically only function that wouldn't work would be the satnav screen showing you which station you are on and what sound volume or would there be more cons?
I'll be honest, I'm not sure. Just I know that older built in renault systems used the head unit to control the sat nav! I could be wrong but worth looking in to just incase.

@McGherkin are you happy with your Kenwood? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the process of upgrading my stock stereo and looking for a good one.

From my research Kenwood is a good option. But can't make up my mind. All the reviews I've read so far are hype garbage. Actually I've tracked down a site that tells it how it is. I was eyeing the DDX9705S system thanks to the review.

Can you tell me how bad the is the screen glare? What about the price is there enough value to justify it?

I'm open for suggestions