ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wont start

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Hey all,

This morning my mum went to move my car out of the drive and it wouldnt even turn over (flat battery) so i had the b**ch on charge all day and now it just turns over and over and over and over and over and you get the point.

It seems like its not sparking, what should my next steps be? Things to check and try....

Thanks,
James

SOunds like you've flodded it.

Put the accelerator about 1/2 way down and start it. You'll get a plume of black smoke as there unburned fuel poures out and don't tur it off for least 20 minutes or till its fun warm for a bit.

1998 BMW e46 323i
could be damp - try spraying some wd40 around the electrics, coil pack etc. or try jumping it, oh and i'm presuming there's plenty of petrol in it

V6 Exige, GTR R35
check the inertia switch, cuts off the fuel opump if it gets knocked normally incase of an accident.

it should be close to the battery somewhere, big red button on mine

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Tried some of the above stuff with no luck still.

This is a picture of the dashboard when i turn the ignition on, what does the circled red light mean?

1000044sc2.jpg

Also took the spark plugs out, and plugged it onto one of the HT leads, turned the engine over but no sparks!

What could this mean?

1 - distributor
2 - starter motor (dont think so because the engine turns over)
3 - something different :)

Thanks

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
i had a similar problem with my mk2 ph1 the other week, found out it was a f***kin fuse in the auxilary fuse box under the bonnet, maybe worth checking this one out first.

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Rev counter wont move until it starts though will it? Also how can i test if the coil is working is there some form of test i can do on it?

Cheers for all the help

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
does that red light go out? if not have u pliped the key? does the central locking work? sounds to me like immob stuck on

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Ok well would the engine still turn over if the imobaliser was stuck on? I thought that if the imobaliser was stuck on then it wouldnt even turn over..........

The red light goes out, after I turn the key to the point where it should start, it says on all the time with just the igintion on.

Cheers

Gal

A Clee O
Depends I used to have a golf and the engine would turn just not fire if the immobiliser was still on.

Last time something like this happened was the Coil Pack on my old car.

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
The coil pack is the part that has the center ht lead connected to it isnt it?

How can I check if the imobaliser is stuck on?

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Fixed, the imobaliser in the glovebox was locked lol. Locked it yeterday while the battery was charging because i didnt know what it was, now I do though lol.

Thanks for all the help.....

V6 Exige, GTR R35
glad you got it fixed though fella.....

imobiliser might cut off the fuel pump which obviously stops it from starting - used to be like this on my old car too.

COLTCZT,Clio 440T project
ive got the same problem with the valver, it just turns over nd over but dont fire. i dont have a immobiliser in the glove box, my 1st clio did but the valver dont! any1 have any more ideas what it could be?

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
mines sorted now, my fualt was the fuel pump relay was knackered.

cost me 75 notes in total, 25 for recovery, 25 for Diagnostics Test and 25 for new relay and fitted.