ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car wont start

Golf 1.8 20 valve GTi
This is a post on behalf of a friend of mine.

His car is a 53 plate 172 cup, He has rung me and asked if i will ask all you friendly lot on here for some advice??

Right the problem is that he had the cam belt done & when he got it back it was miss firing, He changed the plugs & put some Magnacor plug leads on it, This then cured the problem.

He then bought a Samco induction hose for it & fitted that, The car still ran perfect it did however have a lazy starter motor so he went out and bought one.

Started to fit it last sunday & removed the battery only to find it was the wrong starter! By this time the shop he got it from was shut so he left the battery of & decided to change it the next day.

Once he had the correct starter motor he proceded to change it, Connected the battery back up.

He then tried to start the car but only turned over for a couple of seconds but didnt start, When he tried it again it turned over again for a couple of seconds but still didnt start (was like the starter motor had cut out)

After many attempts of trying to start it there was still no joy!! He then realised that the RED alarm warning light was staying on permanently & wouldnt turn off.

Can anyone suggest anything he might try or may have overlooked??

Thanks

JW

ITB 172 Cup & 197 FF
Not sure what the correct way to go about this is but when my battery went flat on mine it messed my immobiliser up. Car wouldnt start like you said as the immobiliser was stopping it, went out and bought a new battery but still didnt cure it.. Eventually i ended up leaving the car for a few days and then it started fine first time.

Megane dci 130
I know exactly what you mean by this. Your still holding the key in the crank postion but the starter stops its self.

Iv had a few in at work do this exact thing (including my brothers 172 and a friends 1.2) in the end they all cured them selves.

Its definatly something to do with the battery being dissconnected though.

Has he tried the spare key?

Golf 1.8 20 valve GTi
I know exactly what you mean by this. Your still holding the key in the crank postion but the starter stops its self.

Iv had a few in at work do this exact thing (including my brothers 172 and a friends 1.2) in the end they all cured them selves.

Its definatly something to do with the battery being dissconnected though.

Has he tried the spare key?

Yeah cranking for a few seconds then stops. Dont think he has a spare key for it but ill ring him tomorrow and ask him